Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Patrol GR 3.0 new in 2003 when I was living in Devon, UK. I immigrated to the Turks & Caicos Islands in 2008 and took the Patrol with me. I cannot find a workshop manual in the UK and the Haynes manual I have says little or nothing about the auto. It has 39,000 miles on the clock. The car has performed well until recently when I noticed the engine back off the throttle momentarily when traveling over an uneven road. This was odd because it has been travelling the same roads for the last six years without this happening. More recently it has started to twitch when approaching 52 MPH which is where final drive lockup seems to kick in. Intermittently it cannot make up its mind whether it should be locked in or not and this is more noticeable when cruising without acceleration. If this occurs it can be almost eliminated/eliminated by giving it more throttle. When towing trailers it can demonstrate similar traits in third, again when cruising/coasting. The ATF looks clean in fact almost clear and this is Nissan original ATF, the level is slightly high but it has been that way for 11 years. I think its time for an ATF change which I understand should be Dextron III? Is there a filter to change out or a screen to clean? I assume that I will need a new tranny sump gasket? With an oil cooler and no equipment to flush or purge the cooler can I change the ATF a couple of times to effect a clean up. Are there any tricks to flushing the system without the right gear. Please remember I live on a Caribbean Island where so called mechanics have a 2 lb hammer and it will fit, so DIY is the better way to go! I understand the auto tranny has a separate ECU but aside of Haynes mentioning it, it does not even tell you where it is located. Are there any sensors or solenoids connections that I should be checking? Am I looking in the wrong place could this be something to do with the engine management? Any help pointers would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on a manual and where to locate it?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so living on a Caribbean Island is not all it's cracked up to be :)?, I don't have an auto but one of our auto guru's will be along shortly, in the meantime there is a workshop manual in the ZD30 DI archives that you may be able to download. That will tell you were the unit is located and break it down.

In here look at the top of in post #9, good luck, I just wonder if it is the lock up switch that is playing up, dirty terminals etc. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I tried to download from post #9 but it said I was unauthorized when using my forum name and password any suggestions? :(I hope its something simple as you suggest ,a spot of contact cleaner and some WD40 would be a heaven sent answer! I do have an OBCD II unit that I have never used. I don't know if it might help with diagnostic codes, has anyone had any experience with these and 3.0 DI's. As to living in the Caribbean we have 345 days plus sunshine a year with beaches to die for and a 302 mile barrier reef so it's not always tough. I am trying to find a picture I have of my Patrol towing a trailer with our National Park in the background. If I can find it I will leave the decision up to you!:cool: Oh yes Tax is a still a dirty word and we have no income tax, sales tax, death duties or corporation tax! I do have a couple of other toys to keep me amused a Yamaha Raptor 660, a KTM SX525 a couple of Seadoo GTI's a Kawasaki 750 standup ski, a Yamaha XT1200 Super Tenere, a VW Sand Rail, a Barracuda Beach Buggy and a Yamaha SX230HO:p. My workshop has a 11,000 lb asymmetric lift, a forktruck, acetylene, mig, plasma, 36 x 12 lathe, mill, press drill, 20 ton shop press, all associated air tools etc, etc. So equipped with the right information I stand a fighting chance.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I just checked your profile and you have all the right things, I already have that manual downloaded on my LapTop but I just opened the link again to make sure it works and it did.

Just figured it out :), you don't put in "your" username and password, just the words username and password :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts