Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced original NGK Glow Plugs with HKT- CP-73 metal tips. I had aksed how to do it but just did it anyway. Vehicle is a 03 GU 3.0 TDI with 197ks. Happy to answer any questions.

Process and Photos
1. Remove Engine Cover with 10mm socket, remove intercooler hoses and plug from front.
2. Remove 4 12mm bolts and take off intercooler, good time to clean if need to..
3. Remove 3 12mm bolts from Throttle Body, Clean while off, there are no linkages or clips that need to be removed, Gasket is metal no damage caused ok to re-use. remove 3 connecting hoses, 2x small hoses and 1 to turbo. Use 8 mm socket.
Now Glow Plugs ready to come out.
4. The Black seals screw out, I used pliers to sit in 2 grooves, easy.
5. 8mm socket to remove bridge from Plugs, Use a Deep 12 mm socket to remove Glow Plugs and replace with new ones. Careful not to tighten top nut on too tight, I did break one.
Now reverse to put back together, Ensure tighten all Hoses correctly i left 1 loose and blew off on 1st drive. All ok.

With TB removed

OE NGK- Tips still intact, keep for spares.

Old NGK with blue paint and New CP-73 metal tip.

Broken CP-73. Leave small nut on and place bridge over it. My fault broke.

Throttle Body, not too bad with 197ks , Wiped out with Metho spirits, 1 side worse than other.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
good work shane! you beat me to it!

was the throttle body hard to get off? when i cleaned my i/c i noticed it had some springs and garbage on the sides?

cheers mate

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuckles,

Absolutley easy, I don't know what I was worried about, remove the 3 bolts and 2 small hoses- No clamps on them, 1 hose that runs to turbo and that is it. All the other stuff comes off with it, Gasket is Metal so no need to replace.

Doing inlet manifold looks different though.

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Hi Shane

Cleaning the inlet manifold os on my list of 'things to do'. Obviously I'll do the throttle body, but why is the inlet manifold different?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Shane

Cleaning the inlet manifold os on my list of 'things to do'. Obviously I'll do the throttle body, but why is the inlet manifold different?
Just a bit more to it that's all, would need to get the gasket i guess, i will have a go at it next time I decide to pull apart. Never really had time.

The TB only had 3 bolts, inlet a few more.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Thanks Shane, I was thinking about changing my glow plugs and after reading this it doesn tlook so hard after all. The same time i do this ill to the glow plug timer mod. Have you done this yet?

Cheers, and thanks again for writing it up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts