Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some opinions.
Looking at upgrading from the old maverick and cant make up my mind.
Should i fork out the money for a relativley stock 4.2 wagon or should i go for a 3.0 for heaps cheaper and spend the left over on mods??

cheers

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I dont think you will get a unbiased answer to this question as the 3l peple will say the 3l and us 4.2 owners will say the 4.2 & BennoGU28 will tell you the RD28 is the only way to go

The 3l are a lot cheaper and there are a lot more on the market and if you go for a GU3 onwards i think they are less prone to failure than the early ones

The other thing to look at if you are looking at a manual is the 3l has a dual mass flywheel that is less reliable than the traditional solid flywheels on the 4.2

In standard spec performance wise i dont think there is a lot in it & fuel consumption seems around the same with both engines

With the 3l you can chip it and increase performance electronically where as with a 4.2 you need to modify it mechanically

I think the 3l guys on the forum believe with the popular mods they carry out they can make the 3l reliable

I dont think i have ever seen a post from a 4.2 owner who say they wish they had a 3l instead but there are sometime posts from 3l people who say they wish they had a 4.2

I have never personally worked at a nissan dealership but i have worked with guys at toyota dealers who have and they ask me what engine is in mine (no engine badge on a GU4 DX Wagon) and when i say the td42 they all say in their opinion it is the better engine of the two

Regards Don

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,685 Posts
I wished that I had bought a 4.2 for about 3minutes. :p

Get a post 2003 3.0l. Do the mods and have a ball.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Just to add that 3l have a bad reputation (undeserved probably) because of the problems with the early models and i believe this affects the resale value (although they were cheaper to but initally than the 4.2) but this is probably a good thing in your case if you are looking at buying one where as the 4.2 engine seems to have a high resale

Regards Don

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
A 4.2l also will cost more to service due to the 5k service intervals compared to the 10k intervals on the 3l

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
A 4.2l also will cost more to service due to the 5k service intervals compared to the 10k intervals on the 3l

Regards Don
Pretty sure the 3L is a : service every 5,000km as well.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
But you would do it at 5k anyhows, 3l are great lil motors, perform well, use bugger all fuel doin it.
Yep they do have a few issues with reliability, but service the **** out of it and enjoy.
I shudder when I hear people doin services at 10-15k, may be a bit different if you cant do it yourself but its not hard.
Zappa

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts

Regards Don
True and the buy price of a 4.2 puts them out of price for many of us. When I was looking, there was atleast 13k difference in the vehicles I looked at. Dont like the grumbly gnarly drive train thing with the 4.2 either:)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Dont like the grumbly gnarly drive train thing with the 4.2 either:)
Neither do I. People can talk out their sphincter about the 2.8 gearbox BS "strength" but goddamn its a velvety smooth light shifting piece of gear. Last time I drove a 3.0L their gearbox which is the same as the 4.2 was absolute crap. Slow to shift, rumbled around town, got stuck a few times going from 1st to second (clutch to neutral wait a second clutch again slam into second) drove me insane.

And the previous 00 ZD my mate had spat 5th at Yeppoon on one trip.... so much for strength of the FSR50.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
My 3l doesnt have the grumbling like my ol 4.2, and in my ol GQ use to tow in 5th a heap, with some mechanical sympathy of course.
I was under the impression and the manual says that 3l and 4.2 have the same box.
If they do why are the 4.2 so noisy?
Zappa

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
different harmonics of the 6 cyl motor I assumed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bought my 2004 3.0l diesel patrol new and serviced it at 5000km intervals.

The engine was pulled down yesterday after being diagnosed with a cracked head (no 2 cylinder) and to top it off a slither of glow plug came off the glow plug tip and has been bouncing around the cylinder resulting in the no 2 piston incurring all these divits. (turbo damage also????)

End result? I'm looking at a full engine rebuild at a cost of approx $12000.

You buy a diesel engined vehicle for ecconomy, reliabliliy and longevity. The 3.0l fails all these attributes in my book

Search for 3.0l issues and you will be plagued - chooses wisely.

Leroy

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
My 2002 3.0L has done 185,000km - 175,000 of them with no mods whatso ever.. One owner - a grey nomad who towed a pop top caravan around Australia.

There are alot of them out there, believe it or not, not all patrol owners frequent forums - Probably too busy enjoying this great land of ours! :) Im suprised how little fuel the 3L uses considering how heavy the truck is..

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
But you would do it at 5k anyhows, 3l are great lil motors, perform well, use bugger all fuel doin it.
Yep they do have a few issues with reliability, but service the **** out of it and enjoy.
I shudder when I hear people doin services at 10-15k, may be a bit different if you cant do it yourself but its not hard.
Zappa
I only ever service mine (oil and filters) every 10k and IMHO its ample. Todays synthetic oils are A1 and easily last well past that driving distance. Unless around any contaminats like water, then every 5000kms is not really achieving much. I would highly doubt there is any correlation between 5 and 10k changes and reliability.
The only engines I have serviced at every 5 have been the high performance turbo petrol's, after doing multiple laps at the track. Each to their own..

I agree with Benno, the patrol gearboxes are far from their strong points. As far as refinement and sleeknss goes.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts