Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has been asked 5 million times but please be nice!
So we bought a lemon 2000 GU 3L, that's engine is drifting up poo creek paddle-less....So its coming out.
The budget is small, so its going to be a DIY job. Hit me up with engine conversion suggestions, pro's & con's etc that can be DIY'd under $10k.
So far looking into Nissan 4.2 / Brunswick options / 5L / LS but budget may not allow....
Prefer to hear from your experiences not hear-say :)
At the end of the day we want a strong capable tourer / camper tow vehicle and daily driver, that can play on weekends too. Yeah don't want much! :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, where's the best place to find said TB42 or LS1...? Damaged auctions?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
You wouldn't put a TB42 in a GU, thats going a bit backwards maybe TB48 but your budget is going to dictate what you end up with.

I'm hoping and praying for the 3.0 CRD in the wagon to go bang but to no avail. LS2 6.0 tickles my fancies, similar to the old 400 chev that had the low down grunt a 4WD needs compared to big top end power like your LS1 5.7 or 350 chev motors. Don't quote me on the comparisons its been along time since I have looked at petrol motors, but for the cost and hassle of getting a transplant motor right in it's new home be prepared to blow the budget.

Last engine conversion's I had anything to do with were a 253 into a 4 runner, 3.8 into a Pathfinder and 350 chev into FJ40 and GQ. Never again, as much fun as it might be I'm having second thoughts thinking about thinking about it.

Auction, eBAY, gumtree etc search until the right one comes up.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
Google ls1 for sale.
There are a couple of good fb sites too. Nissan patrol Ls1 ls2 ls3 conversions.
V8 Nissan patrols Australia.

Lots on eBay and gumtree too.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
So why you running straight gas?

I'd be looking at a TD42, yes it might cost a grand or two more in buying the motor, but it will overall be a cheaper conversion because of kit require and certainly improve its resaleability. No engineering and diesels have a better resale value.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
ls1 might just be done for less than 10g
but there is so much fiddly things to do u really need 5g spare incase poop happens
I saw an ls1 into an early land cruiser afew weeks ago and it was pretty rough home job
which I wouldn't even buy for 1000 bucks

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Td42 or ls1. Anything else and your mad. Id go td42. Hardest part is welding engine mounts to the chassis. Dont get scared by the wiring its easy.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
Td42 or ls1. Anything else and your mad. Id go td42. Hardest part is welding engine mounts to the chassis. Dont get scared by the wiring its easy.
Dude its one wire lol. Ok maybe not that easy but yeah pretty straight forward hahahahaha

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Dude its one wire lol. Ok maybe not that easy but yeah pretty straight forward hahahahaha
its easier to just pay killa kustoms for wiring alot of the 3l **** runs through the computer and when u put the td in stuff dosnt know whats going on

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
its easier to just pay killa kustoms for wiring alot of the 3l **** runs through the computer and when u put the td in stuff dosnt know whats going on
True true... silly 3l

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Turbo a Cummins 4BT, bolt up to 3.0L auto with an adaptor plate, or bolt up a 6 speed Allison, make more torque and power than most , and retain 4 cyl rego...., weight, size , and cooling is not an issue, Hurry up and do it, be unique.

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
Head to the auctions and try wind yourself an ss commodore with rear or side damage, take what you need and wreck the car might wind up costing you 2-3k for motor box ecu and harness buy the time you have wrecked the car. Bogger is right the LS2 engine is the one you want, its got a higher compression ration than all the other LS series engines as well as slightly more displacement at 6Ltrs but still retains the cathedral port heads witch are better for torque under the curve and throttle response.

If you wind up with an LS1 tho bud its very simple to achieve the same results as the LS2 mill the heads down around 80thou to bring the comp up and fit a small torquey camshaft (witch I Can spec and supply for you if needed).
Dont make the same mistake as everybody else, fitting cams intended to run times in a commodore it will work but it wont be all that it could be from a 4WD point of view.

Gordon

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
So why you running straight gas?
run straight gas because i paid $1750 for a registered dual fuel tb42 and it sucked petrol if it would run at all on petrol.did away with the petrol,tuned it for lpg.uses 18-20 ltrs for 100km at 76c a litre,parts are cheap.picket up a motor from gqwags on here when he did a td42 conversion, tb42 with 91,000 k's $500,picked up couple more motors for under $200,easy to work on.have the range of a diesel -7/800 k's at a fraction of the cost to buy and less to run,$50 services at 10,000k intervals

1 - 20 of 30 Posts