Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2002 Gu Patrol 3.0l ZD30 and it’s having the same problem where it won’t go past 3k revs. Could this possibly be the engine going into limp mode to protect the turbo or engine, or could it be a sensor that not working properly?

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
492 Posts
Probably your neutral switch which does not work anymore.
ECU believes you are still in neutral position, and trying to accelerate crazily. It tries to protect your motor.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts
If you go into the DI archives and read up on NADS you will find the conditions under which limp occurs, yes it could be a sensor but need more info, also are there any codes in the ECU?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably your neutral switch which does not work anymore.
ECU believes you are still in neutral position, and trying to accelerate crazily. It tries to protect your motor.
What is the best way to fix these problems?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go into the DI archives and read up on NADS you will find the conditions under which limp occurs, yes it could be a sensor but need more info, also are there any codes in the ECU?
There are no other codes on the ECU that I know of.

·
Registered
492 Posts
An easy way to test it is as follows
Cold motor. neutral position. press the 'heat' button on the dash. RPM goes to 1200RPM
Engage first gear. RPM goes down. If it doesn't neutral switch is dead (or you have a cabling problem)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An easy way to test it is as follows
Cold motor. neutral position. press the 'heat' button on the dash. RPM goes to 1200RPM
Engage first gear. RPM goes down. If it doesn't neutral switch is dead (or you have a cabling problem)
I just tried that and when I put it in first the revs go down.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It means your neutral switch works. Good.
When this problem happened ? Can you link it to something you did, or a modification you did ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you have a limp mode, it occurs usually under load.

If you are on flat road, or a downhill roal, accelerating slowly. Can you get beyond 3000RPM ?

Does your motor go straight to nearly 3000, and then refuses to go beyond ? Does it stop accelerating suddenly until you un-press the throttle ? This is characteristic of limp mode.

What you may also have, is a dead, or tired MAF. But you should get an error code. (not on the dash with the light on, but stored in the ECU ). Do you know how to retrieve these codes ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It means your neutral switch works. Good.
When this problem happened ? Can you link it to something you did, or a modification you did ?
I’ve done no modifications to the car yet, it started happening on Friday arvo when my brother was driving, I only found out about the issue today

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have a limp mode, it occurs usually under load.

If you are on flat road, or a downhill roal, accelerating slowly. Can you get beyond 3000RPM ?

Does your motor go straight to nearly 3000, and then refuses to go beyond ? Does it stop accelerating suddenly until you un-press the throttle ? This is characteristic of limp mode.

What you may also have, is a dead, or tired MAF. But you should get an error code. (not on the dash with the light on, but stored in the ECU ). Do you know how to retrieve these codes ?
I haven’t checks going down hill yet but it refuses to go past 3000 but varies about 500revs up or down when driving on a flat surface or just sitting at a stop in neutral

·
Registered
492 Posts
it may come from a dirty MAF sensor. voltage is then lower. so ECU gets the IP to inject less diesel. Hence lack of power.
Unplug. Dismantle ( two screws) then try and clean it (very gently)

Another source is bad fuel and/or clogged fuel filter.

Check also your air-filter. Less air ... lower MAF voltage less fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it may come from a dirty MAF sensor. voltage is then lower. so ECU gets the IP to inject less diesel. Hence lack of power.
Unplug. Dismantle ( two screws) then try and clean it (very gently) View attachment 517353

Another source is bad fuel and/or clogged fuel filter.

Check also your air-filter. Less air ... lower MAF voltage less fuel.
I’ve put a brand new fuel filter in last night and it was all working beautifully but it’s just started doing the same thing again, I haven’t checked the airbox or MAF yet but I’ll give that a go when I get home

·
Registered
492 Posts
Are you sure you did not put very bad fuel in ?
I am very surprised that changing the fuel filter, it worked again for a little while, and then not.
When you press the little pump on top of the fuel filter, does it stay 'firm' ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you sure you did not put very bad fuel in ?
I am very surprised that changing the fuel filter, it worked again for a little while, and then not.
When you press the little pump on top of the fuel filter, does it stay 'firm' ?
yes it stays firm, I’ve tried cleaning the filter and the MAF and nothing has worked. The car is now displaying an engine light tho, what would you suggest I do?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts
yes it stays firm, I’ve tried cleaning the filter and the MAF and nothing has worked. The car is now displaying an engine light tho, what would you suggest I do?
If the engine light is on there should be a code in the system, get that. The other reason could be water in the filter base. Or, you have some other electrical issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the engine light is on there should be a code in the system, get that. The other reason could be water in the filter base.
So if it’s a code I should just take it to a mechanic? What should I do if there is water in the filter base?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts
So if it’s a code I should just take it to a mechanic? What should I do if there is water in the filter base?
There is a drain at the bottom of the filter. if you haven't got a code reader of any kind then go to the DI archives and download a copy of The Bible it tells you how to extract codes manually. But a mechanic with a scanner is the easiest way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a drain at the bottom of the filter. if you haven't got a code reader of any kind then go to the DI archives and download a copy of The Bible it tells you how to extract codes manually. But a mechanic with a scanner is the easiest way.
There’s no water in the bottom of the filter at the moment but I’ll keep checking to see if any has drained out over time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts