Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
@Ethan.foyle Have separated your question from the old thread, now has its own home in the DI section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is a drain at the bottom of the filter. if you haven't got a code reader of any kind then go to the DI archives and download a copy of The Bible it tells you how to extract codes manually. But a mechanic with a scanner is the easiest way.
There’s no possibility that the clutch is slipping is there?

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
526 Posts
There’s no possibility that the clutch is slipping is there?
No, then the rpm would increase without the vehicle accelerating.

With the neutral position switch as mentioned before, test it in every gear.

Is the rpm limited to 3000 in every gear or just the higher ones?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No, then the rpm would increase without the vehicle accelerating.

With the neutral position switch as mentioned before, test it in every gear.

Is the rpm limited to 3000 in every gear or just the higher ones?
it’s limited in every gear, not neutral tho. Is it safe to do these tests when the engine light is on?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
As I said if you download the bible you can check code manually, the code could be important to the solution, But I would think testing would be fine as long as the oil light is not on.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
492 Posts
Not all mechanics have a reader/scanner for the Consult protocol.
Go to the archive, and get the bible as Geeyoutoo said.

You put a short between pin 1 and pin 8 of the OBD-CONSULT white connector below the dash / fuse box, and the warning lamp will blink. Count the long and short blinks. This will give you the code. If you have several codes, they will be displayed one after the other. To be able to count, take a video with your smartphone.
5 long 5 short is 0505 : every thing is fine.
All codes are in the archive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not all mechanics have a reader/scanner for the Consult protocol.
Go to the archive, and get the bible as Geeyoutoo said.

You put a short between pin 1 and pin 8 of the OBD-CONSULT white connector below the dash / fuse box, and the warning lamp will blink. Count the long and short blinks. This will give you the code. If you have several codes, they will be displayed one after the other. To be able to count, take a video with your smartphone.
5 long 5 short is 0505 : every thing is fine.
All codes are in the archive.
I will leave that to a mechanic, I don't have enough car knowledge and don't want to mess anything up. I noticed that the reverse wire that is in behind the dash (Normally connected to a reverse camera) had the bare wire exposed and was touching the frame of the car, this couldn't cause the ECU to force the engine into limp mode, could it?

·
Registered
492 Posts
The reverse wire is connected on one side to the 12V-battery through a fuse, and to the ECU after the switch.
May be if the ECU is misled, by getting a 'reverse ON' signal, prevents the Revs from going beyond 3000RPM.
This is the case if the neutral switch does not work ( the ECU prevents you from getting above 3000RPM for too long when idle...).
So may be the ECU does the same with the reverse signal. I don't know. Repair (insulating), test and tell me !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The reverse wire is connected on one side to the 12V-battery through a fuse, and to the ECU after the switch.
May be if the ECU is misled, by getting a 'reverse ON' signal, prevents the Revs from going beyond 3000RPM.
This is the case if the neutral switch does not work ( the ECU prevents you from getting above 3000RPM for too long when idle...).
So may be the ECU does the same with the reverse signal. I don't know. Repair (insulating), test and tell me !
I’ll be home tomorrow arvo so I’ll give it a go then

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All that did was turn Th e engine light off, still having the same issue

·
Registered
492 Posts
That's good.
You may now need to reset the ECU errors. ECU keeps memory of the default, and otherwise might wait for a number of engine start to understand that all is fine now. short between 1 and 8. Get the doc from the archive. Section EC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That's good.
You may now need to reset the ECU errors. ECU keeps memory of the default, and otherwise might wait for a number of engine start to understand that all is fine now. short between 1 and 8. Get the doc from the archive. Section EC.
I'm unsure on how I'm supposed to do this. Could you maybe send some photos of the process?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
I'm unsure on how I'm supposed to do this. Could you maybe send some photos of the process?
Easy way to reset ECU is to disconnect battery, have a cup of coffee and reconnect, that gets rid of codes, drive it again so you know the new codes are the correct ones, as Phil and I have both said download the bible from the DI archives follow the instructions for getting codes, instructions are clear.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Positive.
and do it overnight. Then you are 100% sure it should have worked.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts