Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup brand spanking 3.0 engine 2.5 years ago after big VCAT spat with Nissan Aust and now with 45,000km on the clock it's eating coolant. What a piece of **** these engines are.
I'm lost for words.

Leroy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
83 Posts
Yeah it's a shame someone didn't do a cast iron head for them you wouldn't even look at alloy. But maybe just a head gasket, good luck.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Yup brand spanking 3.0 engine 2.5 years ago after big VCAT spat with Nissan Aust and now with 45,000km on the clock it's eating coolant. What a piece of **** these engines are.
I'm lost for words.

Leroy
Sorry to hear that mate,

With mine, I just managed to get 65k out of the new long motor before it started to spit the coolant out. I just purchased a brand new assembled head and Permaseal VRS kit for $1700 + labour back to normal.

I did notice that the damaged head had the glow plug cracks on every cylinder which leads me to conclude that the Glow plugs have a major impact on these heads failing. With the original motor the head failed @145k with the same senario being the glow plug hole cracks.

I have an old 10/2002 motor for spares and it has the same problem with the head.

I dont blame the motor, I blame the ECU mate and hence why I am now installing steel tip glow plugs and a timer.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,562 Posts
Sorry to hear,but you didn't go in to detail and specify what exact work was done when nissan changed the motor,you'd be surprised how tight some nissan dealers would be even when giving you a brand new motor,as in i mean,was a brand new radiator fitted with the motor,as well as radiator fan checked and serviced,new hoses and rad caps and new expantion tank etc..... i know it might sound like a stupid suggestion but all these parts if they were fitted too would add the cost and could easily add another 3000euros + for everthing on top of the new engine.

I bet like most other garages they just put a new engine in and said radiator and coolant system along with everything else was ok......

Sorry again to hear this but it sounds bizzare a new engine with nothing done to start this sort of drama.....sounds like a cooling issue no doubt..

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Have you guys done any mods to the glow plug wiring?

These plugs stay on at around 1200C in a cold head for 5 minutes. I just installed a push button in the power wire to the glow relay after cracking a brand new head by letting the car idle to warm the motor. Now the plugs go off as soon as I release the button.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I only installed a switch to turn off the glow plugs today due being sick of changing the head when it fails.

However, my old motor had virtually no sign of wear on the glow plugs when the head failed though there was a couple cracks from the Glow plugs. I think blowby that lands on the glow plugs may possibly have an influence. My original motor had minimal blowby but the long motor that I had installed definitely has more. Would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

I am in the process of receiving a timer that will run the glow plug relay, not the Kemo one that most are running though.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Sorry to hear all these head probs at the moment, we had a bout of IP probs a few months ago.

My uncle keith bought brand new of off the showroom 2011 GU, got it up to 25,000 ks and gues what. Boom!! head gone.

Was on his way back from NT and using coolant faster than he could put in it.

Rebuild and dont skimp is my opinion.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
What is up with the amount of blow by on the zd's when you remove the oil filler cap with the engine running? It seems excessive to me but everyone I've checked feels the same.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
Life is like a box of chocolates.
Yes some other bastard always gets in and grabs the best ones first.

I hope reading this thread is not a bad omen. I was servicing my Patrol on Sunday and noticed the coolant level in the overflow bottle was down a bit 0.5L since last I remember cheking in December. I have never had to top it up unless on a really long hot outback trip when I assume there was a bit of evapouration.

Also blow by
What is up with the amount of blow by on the zd's when you remove the oil filler cap with the engine running? It seems excessive to me but everyone I've checked feels the same.
Yes mine has had quite a lot of blow by since new but it has not got any worse. I remember checking it when it was about one year old and I was quite suprised compared to other ten year old diesels that I had owned before.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts

When you remove the filler cap whilst the engine is running, take a bo-peep whats directly at 6 oclock of the filler about 3-4 inches down, that may explain "blow by" whilst the timing chain is chucking oil out the top faster than my ex mrs with my luggage.:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
When you remove the filler cap whilst the engine is running, take a bo-peep whats directly at 6 oclock of the filler about 3-4 inches down, that may explain "blow by" whilst the timing chain is chucking oil out the top faster than my ex mrs with my luggage.:)
So the timing chain sprocket is the culprit? Interesting. I never thought of that as a reason.
Like I said I was just suprised after checking other vehicles.
Your ex must have a good arm ;)

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
RE: BLOW BY

My 03 has always had very minimal blow by since i"ve been doing my own servicing. I only put about 7.5L of oil in the engine as opposed to the 8.2L specified by Nissan. The engines originally were filled to 5.0-5.5 L in the early days so i know at 7.5L there's plently in there. I'm convinced overfilling the engine oil is a massive cause of blow by. Nissan in there service documents even refer to it for trouble shooting blow by issues. Been doing this now for the last 70,000km and seems to be working well.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Th oil level discussion has been around a while, myself and some of our EU friends did a few tests a while back, I lowered mine a little for 10,000k and never noticed a change in what I collected in my catch can, I didn't go down to 7.5L though, after having blown one engine years ago I'm not that game :).

As for the timing chain adding to blow by, Hmmm, don't ever leave the filler cap off and drive away :), did it once and only drove around the block, man what a mess, pumped oil into every nook and cranny in the bay, don't have to worry about chassis rust anymore.......

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I didn't think the old girl was going to start when I jumped in after work tonight. It was like hydrolic locking. This week it rapidly has gotten worse with the engine running rough for the first km. I have it booked into the workshop on Monday.

........Leroy

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
34 Posts
Hi to all...dan ahern & Bogmeister agree with what you say. It appears to me that if air locks exist after a coolant refill ( following a service etc) that this may be a contributing factor to the start of head failure .

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I fixed the problem! I decided I'd had enough and got rid of it.

I'll have lots of parts for sale shortly. I'll list them in the forsale section with pictures.
Dawes valve, t-piece, needle valve etc ( NADS )
EGR blocking plate
Boost guage and on dash mount
Digital EGT guage
2 x repair manuals
Brown Davis bash steering bash plate (replaces that plastic one)
10,000lb warn winch. Not working but I hear solenoids clicking
Single Din Sony Stereo (I had a single din UHF in the dash with this)
Storage system with short cargo barier
Spare Nissan alloy wheel road worth BFG muddy 285x75x16
Wheel studs and nuts (genuine) to suit Nissan alloy wheels
Spare Steel black ROH with RW BFG muddy 285x75x16
BFG muddy 20% tread 285x75x16
Cargo barrier full length
ARB Roof rack full length with mesh floor and has high lift jack brackets
Rhino Roof bars x2 with ladder rails (similar to what was on Testra vans)
4x4 Equip shovel and axe holder with mounting plate to go on spare wheel
Radiator hoses, serpentine belt (used), fuel filter, air filter.
Bendix front brake pads
Penrite LSD diff oil (2.5l unopened - new)

Let me know if interested in anything.

..........Leroy

·
Registered
Nissan
43 Posts
Three hours into holiday trip and mine just went . On side of road waiting for towtruck
Starts and revs with bulk smoke . Extremely rough idle . Massive blowby

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's disappointing and been a fear of mine when going on trips. I've been lucky. I did a Central Aust trip in April and a Kimberly trip a few years back when the sandwich plate at the front of the engine started pissing out oil on the way home! Lucky.

Leroy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts