Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we all know that 3" high flow exhausts work a treat on crd zd30's with out the need for boost control mods etc.

Now the new question is... Will deleting the cat from a 3" exhaust cause any problems with engine management etc or is it a goer?? (apart from EPA laws)

Please only replys from people who have performed this mod and not just speculations/ educated guesses

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the scotts rod 3" system without the cat and I didn't have any issues with overboosting or going into limp mode. My original system on my CRD had two cats in a row.

I ran the 3" system for a while on its own then went to a dawes/needle setup to get more control of the boost. But recently I have removed the dawes/needle valve and the new chipit unit controls the boost nicely using the factory solenoid.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
I have the scotts rod 3" system without the cat and I didn't have any issues with overboosting or going into limp mode
Ditto

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I know your only wanted direct answers (so appolgies) but I'm wondering why you would want to pull the cat out? It would only increase noise, have minimal effect on performance (the latest 3' high flow cats are amazing and dont take power out) and the risks of getting pinged by the coppers or EPA are very real. I know some people do so, to reduce the chances of torching the car on spinifex etc, but I would have through that there are methods to shield it now.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
From a firebreathing ZD???????? A 3' high flow cat, switching from straight through was pulling around 4kw from heavily modified turbo'd petrols putting 220+ atw. No idea what that would equate to in the patrol, but I would be blown away if anyone, let alone a dyno would detect it.

javascript:open_window('products_pictures/995_010_200_bgst.jpg',540,611);

javascript:open_window('products_pictures/995_010_200_bgst.jpg',540,611);

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
On a ZD30 CRD every bit helps. :D LoL

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Yeah fair point. Im going to get a 3" exhaust TIG'd up soon and I think I'll put one of the metal high flow cats in, somewhere near the gearbox.
Perhaps the risk of getting nailed without one might not be worth the risk, being a $10000 fine for the sake of 0.5hp.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
From a firebreathing ZD???????? A 3' high flow cat, switching from straight through was pulling around 4kw from heavily modified turbo'd petrols putting 220+ atw. No idea what that would equate to in the patrol, but I would be blown away if anyone, let alone a dyno would detect it.

That’s what I have now fitted. It’s a 100c/sq” metallic Race cat that shows no power loss and is Euro 3 compliant. I also have an empty Non-Cat to compare it to, but for the sake of keeping it legal, I’ll retain the cat.

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Hi Chaz,

Who is the manufacturer of the cat - where do you get it in SA & what is a reasonable amount to pay for it?

Cheers
Guido

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Interesting high flow cat post...a question: does the cat need to be as close as possible the the engine to work effectively??

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Interesting high flow cat post...a question: does the cat need to be as close as possible the the engine to work effectively??
Technically, yes.
The closer the cat is to the engine, the more efficient it will be, but in some cases it’s only there because it legally has to be. Personally, I don’t particularly care how well it works, but fitted one so that it’s legal. If it wasn’t illegal to remove it, I would have left it out because it serves no purpose other than improved emissions.
The annoying thing is that they fitted them to the ZD only to be Euro3 compliant in Europe when Australia didn’t have to have Euro3 compliant cars.:(

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gutted my cat, was a bit of a shame because it was a high flow unit like the one in the pic but I want it to look like it's still there . Was a mission and a half to get the metal honey comb out . Anyhow it isn't any louder still boosts the same and I think it spools uP slightly quicker plus I get a nice feeling knowing my exhaust is straight thru ;)
I'll report highway egts after the weekend

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
The annoying thing is that they fitted them to the ZD only to be Euro3 compliant in Europe when Australia didn’t have to have Euro3 compliant cars.:(
and because they came out of factory with one they have to retain one in a new system to remain legal?

cheers

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
BUMP, h_b, did the EGTs change?

Also, is there any gain to be had installing a stainless steel exhaust?

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slight reduction in egt but I'm sure it was just because heat in dump pipe is reduced not actual cylinder temp. Boost came on slightly sooner , exhaust note is the same just a slight bit more turbo whistle

·
Registered
nissan patrol
189 Posts
I have the scott's rods race system no cat 1 muffler, and it's not louder. but noticed boost at 110 is around 16psi and if there is a slight incline or strong gust of wind it jumps to 18psi, but hasn't gone higher in the two trips of 250km's

Anyone else's does the same??

I think it should be right! just need to install this darn pyro which is sitting at home.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
I have a Taipan dump pipe with cat, took the honeycomb out and have a 3" straight through with fake mufflers. so basically a three inch pipe from the turbo flange to the rear bumper. it is louder than standard especially when asked for maximum torque less than 3000rpm, but it isnt annoying. in fact it is still much quieter than my mates bog standard GQ Td42. the best thing apart from the actual increase in grunt is the fact that this engine actually has some grunt from 1500rpm now and in reality is happy between 1500 and 3500rpm rather than 2500 to 3500 before. and that whistle and snorkle induction noise is kinda addictive....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts