Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday guys. just installed my dawes and needle valve setup. few minor adjustments and it should be all sweet. my question is that i will eventually change my exhaust system to a 3" and wanting to know if this will affect the settings of my dawes and needle valve? will they have to be adjusted for any reason?

thanks in advance

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Chuckles,

Fitting a 3” exhaust will most likely reduce your turbo spoolup time, so the needle valve may need to be opened slightly, but other than that, the Dawes valve should limit boost to the same level.

If you set up the needle valve as per the general instructions ie, close the needle valve until the actuator arm just hits its stop at idle, you should be ok after fitting the larger exhaust and provided you don’t have any fail safe issues, it should be fine.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
I've only got Dawes and no manual needle valve and after fitting 3" exhaust the boost increased up by about 2 psi.
That’s interesting! I wonder if it has anything to do with not using a needle valve. :confused:

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chaz. Yeah I have installed the nads devices as per your instructions. Thanks alot mate. It has been most helpful.

Cheers

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
That’s interesting! I wonder if it has anything to do with not using a needle valve. :confused:
Perhaps, I actually anticipated this and when fitting/setting up Dawes I had stock exhaust, I've adjusted it to max 11-12 psi (as it came out from 3Bars racing it struggled to get 8 psi, but thanks to research of another member it turned out to be difference in vacuum between e.g. GUII/III and GU IV). Now it peaks at 14-14.5 psi. BTW, Chaz that exhaust of yours is awesome but I'm scared to ask the $.
Cheers.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Chaz that exhaust of yours is awesome but I'm scared to ask the $.
Cheers.
I thought the price was good considering he spent 3 days working on it. It was a custom hand made job and he only charged me $1535 and that was with another set of V clamps for the non cat. This didn't include the cat as I wanted to use a 100cpsi metalic cat. He only uses 200cpsi ceramic cats, so I got mine on ebay from WA. All up, the system cost me around $1790 with all the extra bits and pieces.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts