Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw up an idea that someone put to me to see what you guys think of and if it has good merits
I'm in the process of getting gauges fitted and because I don't have the tools or facilities to do it myself, I am getting a local mechanic to fit both EGT and Boost gauges for me

In order to fit the EGT gauge, we obviously have to get the heat shield off, remove the dump pipe, drill it and weld a boss to it and re-fit it in the car plus remount the heatshield.
Because I'm aiming to upgrade my exhaust within too long but don't really have the $$$ to do it properly at this stage, it seems to me there is a lot of wasted $$$ in this process

The mechanic has suggested to me that if I simply replace the dump pipe and the Cat with a 3" and a high-flow Cat and adapt it to the rest of the exhaust.
That way, I get a dump pipe that already has the EGT bung and if I want to go for a full end-to-end 3" system, I only have to replace the two rear sections.
He quoted me $500 to supply and fit a Redback 3" dump pipe, Highflow Cat and fit the EGT gauge. He also told me that by keeping the original dump pipe, drilling it and welding would probably come to the same price.

He told me he has done this on a few cars already and the reports have been that you actually get the bulk of the benefits of a larger exhaust this way

Are there merits to this approach? Does anyone have first hand experience with a staged exhaust replacement like this?

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
His suggestion make perfect sense to me. If you plan on fitting the rest of the 3" at some stage why pay labor to remove, modify, and then replace the original, when it's going to have to come off again and have the 3" system put on. Not sure I agree with the statement " that you actually get the bulk of the benefits of a larger exhaust this way ", as in this form the exhaust is still restricted. It will however do no harm and save you some coin. Hold on to that mechanic.

My thought's anyway.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
I don't see it would be that much dearer to do the whole system. You are right that modifying the existing dump is a waste of money. I'd either find the extra cash to do the lot now or I'd just cable tie the pyro out of the way for now and then do the whole exhaust in a couple of months when funds are better. I'm sure that doing half now and the other half later is going to be more expensive than doing the lot at once.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
As Overboard says, it would cost more doing it this way as you are buying the exhaust in component sections instead as a complete system for marginal performance gains. If you have to do it this way, don't pay someone to put the back half on. It is a piece of p#ss. From the back of the turbo to the cat is the most time consuming and can be problematic.
Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts