Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm the new guy.
I own a shorty Mav td42 and want to turbo it over the coming months. I was going to put on a 3 inch straight through exhaust before I turbo it but have been told that it might make some droning noise or something? Also if I put one on now then when I turbo it will it still fit the exhaust manifold of the turbo set up or am I best to wait till after I turbo?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Hey gingerninja102, welcome to the forum.
When you change from non turbo to turbo, yes the exhaust will need to be modified to fit a dump pipe that bolts up to the turbo exhaust housing. But that can generally just be cut off one front bit and fit the new short dump pipe so not a complete exhaust change just that bit. That is as long as the pipe is in the same relative position.

Ask your exhaust shop or tell them what you want to do and they can let you know what difference in cost as you will be making changes to it twice so it is going to cost more than fitting it only once.

Secondly with a turbo there is a bit of exhaust noise dampening from the turbo but also the added sound of wind-up from the turbo. So it will probably drone more and be louder with a straight through pipe before you fit the turbo.

Do you really need a straight through exhaust?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,613 Posts
Mate my young fella has a 2.5" n/a with turbo muffler, a bit on the loud side and drones a little but without the muffler at all it would be bloody horrible. As it is sounds quite good though.

Turboes muffle the noise A LOT.

Mine (42 with turbo) has a 3" with no muffler, but with a hot dog (or resonator) that takes out the droning sitting on a constant speed, but still has the lovely turbo deep burble you get from the 42 turboes.

If you are definitely going to fit a turbo but need exhaust now, I'd suggest fit a 3", and have a turbo muffler with bolt on flange not far from either end of the muffler, and have another part (either now or later) with a hot dog that bolts into the same part between flanges. Then you can just unbolt the muffler and bolt in the hot dog when you get the turbo. Without the hotdog they drone a lot, would be really annoying on a long trip. With the hotdog it sounds just as good and deep and throaty, minus the drone.

Make sure you have a flex join up the front too.

An n/a without a muffler would sound horrible, be too loud, and drone quite badly too I reckon.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
When you are doing your research be sure to talk to a number of turbo supplier / installers. Depending on your set up (eg, fairly standard, 9lb, no intercooler or pump mods) you might actually be better off with a 2 1/2" exhaust as this can actually produce a little more torque than 3".
Also some turbo kits come with exhaust and all bits like dump pipes - something to keep in mind when pricing it up.
Good luck with it - I recently bit the bullet and turboed my old 4.2 :D :D :D

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Adelaide Turbo Services, Marion Rd, Mitchell Park SA, Phone 08 8377 2511.
No bs and genuine guys to deal with. I have no affiliation with them, just used them because I was impressed with the time, patience and effort they spent with me before I selected them (and I had a million questions). Their subsequent work was of an excellent standard and their after sales service is just as good. If you are in SA, I would have no hesitation is recommending them.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
I'm with lethal. He's on the money and have done the same as him. Straight through has a splattering kind of sound. The hotdog doesnt really make it much quieter. It just cleans the sound up and just takes ugly edge off. I did YouTube clip on a 4in exhaust with and without muffler. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

http://youtu.be/2vtQ4075UJg

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
When I got my 3" Exhaurst done it was built in 4 seperate pieces that unbolt. I got one piece with a hot dog & a fifth piece that bolts in place of the muffler if I want a straight through setup. The 4 piece is good for when I need to remove or work on my AUX fuel tank or when I accidentally pulled my clutch fork of my thrust bearing carrier LOL I just take out what ever section I need to make the work easier.

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
I have a GQ Shorty TD4.2 N/A and running a 2.5" Exhaust with extractors and its pretty loud when sitting at 110KPH down the highway, My exhaust shop said they can add another muffler in the exhaust system which will help with the "droning sound" but having the windows up, A/C on, some music its not that bad, would consider another muffler if I were to go around Australia touring maybe but it sounds tuff so I don't mind the droning.

I would wait until you install the turbo and plum the 3" exhaust system up when you turbo it to save some coin!

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I'm thinking of going half ******* and half yuppie. just before the rear diff go from one 3 inch to twin pipes out under the tray. one with a muffler one without lol can't wait.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
I had my turbo fitted a few months ago along with a 3" stainless zhaust with a small muffler on it. After 2 weeks i took the car back to the shop to get the muffler taken out for straight pipe and i havent looked back. The sound of straight thru is sex to my ears, i would recommend it any day over a boring sound killer muffler.
Plus i notice barely any droning at all, its only noisy down low or giving her a bit of right foot with windows down.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Here's another idea. When I made my exhaust and placed the hotdog in. I also made a spare pipe which allows me to remove my muffler and fit that pipe in whenever I want without any mods.

·
Registered
nissan
498 Posts
mine is straight through 3" no muffler or resonator. damaged the tail pipe section in a wombat hole not long after fitting and ended up having it dump out just before the diff all the way from Toowoomba up to the Cape and back. No dramas at all, no real droning noise that worried me or the Mrs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts