1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g,day fellaz

my gu just got a 3" lift
4" shocks and 3" springs and heavy duty sway bars and links and steering dampner.
now when ever i drive up a gutter or anything small that articulates in the slightest way
there is a clicking noise coming out off the rear passenger side area,
i took it back to the 4x4 shop they orderd me in some spring spaces for the back
has not changed anything, all its done is made the back higher then the front and the
ride is harder on the road...

can any one please throw in your thoughts before i go back to the 4x4shop?

thanks heaps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
I dont think that this is the problem, but check that your tail shaft is'ent scraping on your crossmember.

See if you can get someone to drive for you while you identify where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Joel,

I just installed my 3" SL with 4" shocks.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-nissan-patrols-19/swerves-new-2010-ti-4-8-a-61275/

Make sure you swap your rear tailshaft around, so the skinny part is forward. Before you pull it apart see if there is a mark from hitting the crossmember, i.e. a line around the shaft. Mine would hit when I was braking. Also take out the coil spacers the tools put in.

Also make sure all springs have a rubber hat between the chassis and spring on all springs (up top) Also check teh clearance between the spring and rear right shock. It may be rubbing, if rubbing space the rear right shock out with some washers etc.

Thanks Swerve

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow these are some great thoughts i think i am going to swap from outerlimits to this forum :D

as soon drag my ass outa bed in the morning im getting the spaces out and getting into it!

thanks again for your thoughts fellas ;)

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
Also check the exhaust isn't hitting on the LHR shock. I put a 3" lift in mine and the exhaust would hit occasionally, so i removed the rear section. It was a ute so it didn't really matter.

And as swerve said remove those spacers... lift it up a bit more, that will solve the problem... don't give those knobs any more of your money.

Ben

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also check the exhaust isn't hitting on the LHR shock. I put a 3" lift in mine and the exhaust would hit occasionally, so i removed the rear section. It was a ute so it didn't really matter.

And as swerve said remove those spacers... lift it up a bit more, that will solve the problem... don't give those knobs any more of your money.

Ben
cheers Ben:cool: in there defence they are doing all of these investigations for free the spacers were free and what not , but i just would have thought being a 4x4 shop they would know these things and have come across them before as it is there profession.:eek:

im lookign forward to getting stuck into it tomorrow i did get a 3" exhaust put in aswell so i will check that is not hitting.

thanks mate;)

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Often with a 3" lift and over the coils start to get a bow in them and the right hand rear shock gets very close to the coil and can touch. The best way to fix this is to fit some adjustable upper control arms to correct the pinion angle and take the bow out of the springs.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Often with a 3" lift and over the coils start to get a bow in them and the right hand rear shock gets very close to the coil and can touch. The best way to fix this is to fit some adjustable upper control arms to correct the pinion angle and take the bow out of the springs.

yea yea true, mine do have a bow in them. i am talking like driving up a gutter it will make this loud clicking noise so even with extremly minimul atriculation the springs could possibly flex enough to touch the shocks? i will have to flex it up on some blocks and check

thanks!:p

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Make sure that the spring is seated properly on the top side... Mine has fallen out a few times after being on a hoist and made lots of noise after every bump or articulation... It looked right until I looked properly and then had fun relocating it...
I too have 3" springs and 4" shocks...

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make sure that the spring is seated properly on the top side... Mine has fallen out a few times after being on a hoist and made lots of noise after every bump or articulation... It looked right until I looked properly and then had fun relocating it...
good point sounds exactly what i have done here.
i would think that when they put the pscaer in that they checked the loctaion:confused:
i will have a look tho:p

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts

I had the same issue with a front left coil in one of my Discos, always unseating with the slightest articulation and would make the noise you describe. It was a loose fit in the top seat, someone must have previously removed the rubber hat. A good hard kick with the weight of the car on it (exercise judgement) and eventually it settled in and stayed put.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tried fixing the noise today, no luck still doing it and it will be doing it for the glasshouse meet up tomorrow pretty unhappy about it...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine is doing the same pretty much new suspension, what sway bar links do you have? i have the extended ones with the ball joint type bush with a poxy grease nipple that pulls out with the grease gun i havent looked at it yet as its a very minor clunk but im pretty sure its the sway bar links

1 - 19 of 19 Posts