Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Higuys,
I bought a 3 inch exhaust off ebay got it all fitted up on weekend but it still has the massive muffler underneath. I was thinking of cuting it out and replacing it with a straight through muffler or just getting a peice of 3 inch pipe and welding in where the muffler was. What do you guys think? Will it over boost bein all straight through pipe with no muffler?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
Do it if you have a manual boost controller.

My exhaust is straight through with a tiny resonator at the back, no cat either

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Mine has a cat, but nothing else. No room under there for a muffler with the diesel gas tank there. No muffler at the back either.

x2 about having a boost controller, and look at winding your vnt back half a turn to slow your spool rate down..

this is what it looks like without that muffler... mines 2 3/4 though...

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
I put on a 3 inch Beauy exhaust with no mufflers but with the high flow cat for the dump pipe to give a little back pressue . The end result was it did take time to throw a overboost fault code but whilst under very light throttle input whilst towing fully loaded camper trailer in fifth gear at 110 kph .
Problem solved by a dyno run to adjust full boost via the vnt stop grub screw .
Have got the dawes and needle valve set up per " THE MIGHTY CHAZ / WHITIE " and have absolutely no complaints to the available power , torque, boost pressure Vs EGT`s , and great fuel milage for such simple modifications .
And yes I love the note of my exhaust , turbo whistle and spool down wooosh I get at 2000 - 2500 RPM .

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I put on a 3 inch Beauy exhaust with no mufflers but with the high flow cat for the dump pipe to give a little back pressue . The end result was it did take time to throw a overboost fault code but whilst under very light throttle input whilst towing fully loaded camper trailer in fifth gear at 110 kph .
Problem solved by a dyno run to adjust full boost via the vnt stop grub screw .
Have got the dawes and needle valve set up per " THE MIGHTY CHAZ / WHITIE " and have absolutely no complaints to the available power , torque, boost pressure Vs EGT`s , and great fuel milage for such simple modifications .
And yes I love the note of my exhaust , turbo whistle and spool down wooosh I get at 2000 - 2500 RPM .

Hi Patrol King,

How come you did the VNT screw and the Dawes boost controller? I thought each option on its own would prevent overboosting?

Cheers,

Grogey

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Doesnt winding down the VNT screw just slow down the spool up rate? My needle valve doesnt do a fantastic job slowing it down, but i couldnt be bothered moving all the pipes to get to the VNT screw so i just change my driving to include less flooring it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your thorts guys straight through pipe it is!

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
thanks for your thorts guys straight through pipe it is!
Be careful with straight through. It's what I am currently running and with my patrol, it sounds like shlt on idle, only until boost come on does it sound any good. So I've booked it in Monday to have a muffler put on to give me some back pressure. That's just my opinion though.

Try straight through and see what you think?

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Straight through on mine sounded like a Chaff cutter mowing over a flock of Canaries.

Very embarrassing. Using a $30 resonator now and sounds OK.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I'm not sure why a straight through would be a consideration with a noisy rattly old diesel where power gains from doing so would not be quantifyable if compared to using a high flow cat and a resonator. That risk of the EPA and TMU hanging over your head as well.

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
Hi Patrol King,

How come you did the VNT screw and the Dawes boost controller? I thought each option on its own would prevent overboosting?

Cheers,

Grogey
After I replaced the head and blocking the egr at 155000k`s I could not stop it overboosting . This was the only solution .
I think the arm adjustment needded a tweak also ?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I'm not sure why a straight through would be a consideration with a noisy rattly old diesel where power gains from doing so would not be quantifyable if compared to using a high flow cat and a resonator. That risk of the EPA and TMU hanging over your head as well.
Cause um revvy 6 pot diesels sound beyond uber cool, like paxman valentas :)

Big slower revving 6 pot diesels sound like semi trucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts