Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 3 way fridge in a Trayon camper. Use 12V when travelling, but then have to remember to turn fridge off 12V, even after disconnecting Anderson plug to camper, when we get home. Otherwise fridge flattens camper battery. What have others done to overcome this one?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
If I read your post correctly no matter what you do you will still have to remember to do 'something'.

Turning the fridge off is the easiest

You could put an isolator switch on your camper battery. But you will still need to remember to turn that off.

Same if you use a battery selector for "vehicle" or "camper"

You could try a low voltage cutout but that means the Battery would be low next time you wanted to use it so you would have to remember to charge so thats pretty pointless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i might be wrong but, i think you could use a duel batery solaniod (sorry i suck at spelling) to do the job.
so it would be live when you have the key ON then the anderson plug would be off when you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should explain my needs in a bit more detail. Have main and auxiliary batteries in truck, Redarc isolator, and battery in camper. What I would like to achieve is that the electrical supply to the fridge isolates when the ignition is turned off, but still gives supply to lights, cig. plugs etc.in the camper. When ignition is turned back on, fridge should repower also. (Providing it's on the 12V. setting) Will I have to run an extra wire from truck ign. circuit to camper battery to fridge?:confused: And a relay maybe??

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Should explain my needs in a bit more detail. Have main and auxiliary batteries in truck, Redarc isolator, and battery in camper. What I would like to achieve is that the electrical supply to the fridge isolates when the ignition is turned off, but still gives supply to lights, cig. plugs etc.in the camper. When ignition is turned back on, fridge should repower also. (Providing it's on the 12V. setting) Will I have to run an extra wire from truck ign. circuit to camper battery to fridge?:confused: And a relay maybe??
Aaaah OK... so you wan't the fridge to only be powered when the Vehicle Anderson Plug is connected and even then only if the engine is running.

If that is the case then, Yes, you will need another wire that has ignition 12V going to a relay on the Camper. Use that wire to switch the Relay coil and have the Fridge 12 Volt Power thru the Relay Contacts.

That will mean you cannot run the frig off 12 volts in the Camper so if in an emergency you did want to have the ability to do that simply put a switch inline in that Ign sense wire in the Camper that will open the sense wire from the vehicle and connect 12 volts from the Camper battery to energise the relay

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Let's hear it for the gurus.:bowdown:

·
Registered
nissan
121 Posts
Do you want it with the ignition or with the engine running. As someone said above the dual battery isolator could work. They work off voltage to know whether the battery is being charged. So by using one of these the fridge could be isolated when the engine is switched off. Waeco do a wiring kit that has low voltage switching called a raps 12 (I'm pretty sure thats what it's called).

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far the fridge switch is getting the nod. Brilliant idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts