Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right thought I'd do a quick writeup on this...

background:-
I always seem to have stuff to charge or powered via some form of USB connection, note this is just for charging not PC connection etc. I have 2 main types of USB connection to cater for, namely Mini USB and MICRO USB.

The TOMTOM GPS unit uses the Mini USB cable and 1 or more HTC Desire / Desire HD Android phones are plugged in to keep the batteries topped up. (depend if the missus is with me or not (they take the micro USB).

So I had a need to connect and keep charged at least 3 units at any given time.

I looked around for solutions to this and of course the obvious one was to use the ciggy lighter sockets. All well and good other than the 'dingly danglies' all over the place, with a 'Y' adapter to feed 1 into 2 adapters.

This did me ok until I needed to investigate a rattle/Buzzing that was coming from inside the console/dashboard.

Time for a better solution to the ciggy lighter socket mess.

Looking for a unit that could feed several usb type A sockets (thats ya standard rectangular USB socket on the side /fron /back of your PC/laptop)
at a reasonable Amperage proved to be either expensive or difficult to source.

The solution:-
One of the problems with the ciggy socket/USB adapters is that most of them will only charge at approx 500mA which is only just about enough to keep the charge level equal while services are on... 3G mobile data... bluetooth handsfree ...bluetooth audio to the JVC 7406 DVD headunit. This is not really enough to comfortably charge and run the phone/GPS unit unless you've go loads of time to recharge as all the power is going in to running the unit itself.

So the USB adapters that I had bought were able to supply upto 1 amp at 5V . .... enough to get things moving.

The pictures below show that I removed the outer casing from 3 of the units, I mounted them onto non coppered pin board ( no idea as to the tech term for it) and wired each unit up in parallel, each with their own resettable 1.5A fuse in series with the positive side of the unit.

I then mounted that to the steel surround of the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel which in this case also has a auto lockup switch installed above it.

The board was insulated on the back hot glue then double layer of duck tape/gaffer tape and mounted on plasitc standoffs with self tapping screws through the steel and into the mounting board.

Routing the usb cables went ok once I figure out where I was going to mount the circuits and where the unit were going to live... one to the right of the steering wheel ... my phone ( micro USB), and then the mini USB going to the GPS exits in the middle and the other Micro USB next to it with sufficient length to be able to hold the phone if necessary from the PAX side.
I guess another option would have been to mount sockets to the dashboard and plugged in usb cables if necessary....

so there you have it.. cheap USB supply solution.

---make sure you get USB adapter of at least 1 amp ( there are some form Jay car that do this and one is just about to be released that can supple 3.1 amps plenty for IPADS, etc)
---fuse the circuits

--Insulate and ensure that nothing can come loose.

-- Wrap the wires in foam to stop rattles (I HATE HATE HATE rattles) bit hard in a 16 year old car!1

PS did not manage to fix the damn rattle !!!!
the search continues !! hope this inspires someone out there to do the same

Piers

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
er... finished product consists of three cigarett lighter socket PCB's connected in parallel to a 12 V supply... ie the 12V feed to the cigarett lighter sockets. This enables three different independant 12V a 1 amp USB feeds to be supplied via their respective connection to power phones, ipods, GPS etc from them. All hidden away so I have 2 free cig sockets left and no cable mess all over the console :)

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
it's the hidden away part i don't understand. you plug in under your left knee?

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the board that is hidden away is the power distribution and conversion for the cables that are routed to the right of the SW and to the middle of the dashboard feeding the GPS mounted to the windscreen and a micro usb cable that pops out just to the right of the grab handle.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
I bought mine at the local hardware store. Very cheap, not giving ne any problems though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts