Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, yes I'm another sucker dropping my money into a 5lt conversion for my gq, but its gunna be fun!. I'm looking for a lead on an engineer to approve it all!I'm in south gippsland victoria but obviously will travel a bit as I'm sure there rare. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have done this. I'm about half way through, spent $2500 on a basic 5lt rebuild (and thats doing it myself), $1200 on marks transfer case adapter to bolt up my 4l60e (auto). Just about to spend $2000 on rebuilding the box. with plenty to go yet, wiring loom, mounts etc etc…I cant see the bottom of the bucket yet?? Any advice would be appreciated, like fuel system as it was a td28t so diesel to petrol. Assuming I'll need fuel pump etc..Can I use the existing fuel tank with a clean out? cheers

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah want it to run smooth and be super reliable. All I've done is put the next size cam up from the standard 185kw 5lt in it. this is all the hsv motors have in them. A nice reliable 215kw that won't run hot on extended 4x4 trips idling. And most of all solid power to tow the camper, misses and the 4 rug rats. cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
nah want it to run smooth and be super reliable. All I've done is put the next size cam up from the standard 185kw 5lt in it. this is all the hsv motors have in them. A nice reliable 215kw that won't run hot on extended 4x4 trips idling. And most of all solid power to tow the camper, misses and the 4 rug rats. cheers
All the more reason for the cubes, HSV 355 ;)

You will need to either run EFI intank pump assembly or fit low pressure pump from tank, feeding swirl pot/surge tank, the high pressure pump to feed fuel rail, with return line back from fuel regulator back to swirl pot

Just drain the tank and fill with petrol, to easy

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers bloke, gets me a step further in all the info I need. Still after an engineer for south vic region! any one out there!?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
182 Posts
I came very close to a Holden V8 conversion myself for my MQ but opted against it due to time and space to actually work on the project-not sure if the neighbours would have appreciated me doing an engine conversion on the street in front of their house....so I sold it and bought a GU.

I was looking at running the VT 5lt with one of those purpose built Carby manifolds and running it with a Blue motor dizzy to keep things nice and simple. I have an injected/stroked 5lt in my HQ and always dreamt of having that grunt and sound in my fourby:D but wonder about the reliability of the electronics out on the corrugated roads and such. The Delco ecu is dodgy at the best of times....

Are you running a factory ecu? If so what model has it come out of? Does your auto trans have the Throttle Valve cable (like the old kick down cable) or is it fully electronic?

I might be able to pass on a few tips I learnt from my HQ

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it has an edu as everything has come out of a vr commodore. And I'm running a 4l60e which is the electronic 4 speed auto. marks adaptors make an ecu bypass which sends a stream of data to the comp to allow it to bypass the anti theft for start up. something like that anyway haven't got that far yet. cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
233 Posts
hi mate.

i just re did the fuel system in my LS1. i had a walbro in tank setup, but i put an inline bosch 044 and it sucks fuel from the tank without an issue. i mounted it to the chassis just forward of the sub tank. works a treat.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey gudavo, who did you use to certify the engineering of it all to make it legal? or haven't you made it that far?

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
don't buy the ecu security bypass units
as they need wiring in and just another thing to go wrong
I always just reflash the memcal that's in the ecu and turn off security and also adjust afew other things on the memcal

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ecu/memcal

Hey cheers bobby4wd, thanks for the anti theft heads up, now to clarify (as I'm a bit computer illiterate) the memcal is the little blue rectangular chip thats in the ecu? and how do you 'reflash' it to bypass the anti theft etc..? this would be good, as an anti theft bypass 'marks adaptors' sells costs $350. Bypassing the anti theft allows you not have to use the commodore key? correct?what other things are you tweaking in there? cheers

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
u need to find someone who reflashes memcals, that's the little blue thing inside the ecu
and yes u don't need the commodore key once u do that

i flash the memcal and do afew other things depending on the job and once i play with the looms its a much nicer looking kit once they see it, some of the loom kits from usa look so ugly as half the wiring is too long or half the places sell u alot of stuff in the kit but half of it is not needed but customer doesn't know that till u tell them

·
Registered
nissan patrol
233 Posts
i used an engineer in sydney... every state will be different in the regs so you will need to find someone who does it all in your area.

it wasnt hard. they looked over it and told me what they wanted either changed or fixed up. i did what they asked and they signed off on it.

as long as the welds on the chassis are solid and everything else is neat and tidy. I.E. wiring and fuel system etc. there shouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers GUdavo, yeah I've hunted around and found a couple so i'm gunna try and get everything as sweet as I can get it so I might be able to fluke it on first inspection?? The drive is 1 1/2 hrs to nearest one (living in the country has its drawbacks) and costs of day passes etc..do you know anyone who has done the 304/4l60e auto conversion? my original front drive shaft was hitting the side of the auto under shock flex. through research I found the rd28t's ran a bigger shaft (65mm dia ) so I've trimmed the side off the auto sump pan and found some gq's ran a 50mm dia shaft, so going to get one of those and I'm reasonably confident it wont hit…just. if you know anyone with this exact conversion did they have issue? desperate to find someone to chat to on this:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts