Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq 4.2 peterol lwb & mk turbo diesel shorty
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im about to buy new tyres for my old mk shorty the very big question is stick with 31 inch tyres or go to 33inch :cool: if i go to 33 do i have to cut my flairs ( steel ones ) and my guards? if i dont put a lift kit in it?.... or will i have to put a body lift in her so tyres dont scrub on guards when turning? any advise would be a great help thanks guys.:headwall:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
sounds like you have no body and no suspension lift at all at the moment.

33" will fit. the rear should cause no dramas, it will be the front that will. but it really depends how wide the tyre will be and what offset rim it will be on. if the tyre is too close to the inner guard/chassis, the tyres will rub when turning (ie hard turns like parking). if the rim is offset to fix this, it may be too wide and hit the outer guard, but this will probably only happen when flexing (not when driving on the road). i would get 33, they are a good size and provide plenty of traction and clearance off road, just remedy any problems as they happen :)

if your looking for an excuse to get a lift, either will provide plenty of clearance. even a shackle lift only would help.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Before shelling out the $$$
Check with the authorities in your state as to whats legal or not
33" mite not be legal in your state
Hate 4 u to pay big $$$,then be told to remove them

·
Registered
nissan patrol
651 Posts
Pretty sure theres dozens of threads on this...

33x12.5's will scrub left right and centre offroad without any lift whatso ever. If they're on cruiser rims pretty sure you'll destroy your outer guards. I needed 2" spring and 40mm guard chop on the front to clear 33x12.5 claws on patrol rims. With a 30mm body lift I was able to fit the same tire but on cruiser rims without scrubbing. Was also able to fit 35x10.5" simexs on cruiser rims.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,263 Posts
I had 33's with a 2"body lift, and the only scrub is on the indercator/parker protector, inside the front guard.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
...I needed 2" spring and 40mm guard chop on the front to clear 33x12.5 claws on patrol rims...
These Bighorns are 33 x 12.5.

I don't understand, sorry.

I can't see any need to modify Matt's car to fit 33 x 12.5s.

Are the "claws" you're talking about that much bigger?

Or, could this beast have been lifted in the past that we don't know about?

Or, do we have non-genuine('ish) rims?

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,263 Posts
you can get them under, It just depends on suspension sag, rims in use, and type of tyre will come into it. Claws may foul more do to the large side lugs then the big horns, and different tyre brands are different size, even though they say there a 33 or 35 they could be an 1" smaller or .5" inch larger just luck of the draw.
33 's are a great tyre size, buy them and make them fit if they don't already.

·
Registered
nissan gq 4.2 peterol lwb & mk turbo diesel shorty
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks guys , i might look in to a 2inch body lift first so i dont rip my steel flairs off. im not sure on what my rims were originally of they are a deep dish sunraiser 15 x 8 i took of a old mq wagon i have got for spares...... so hopefully just a 2 inch body lift should do the job so i can leve the flairs on ? because the whole shorty is in really really good condition it was my old boys and he babyed it .

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Just remember which ever way you lift it
Either,body,spring,shackle
That you look right into whichever way you go
Even a body lift has a few (only minor)pitfalls
Any dramas or issues you mite encounter will be found by a quick search

Depending also what the road laws are in your state
Body lift need to be checked and approoved,spring lifts OK,Shackle lifts are a big nono in QLD
So check all this out,with your state authority* before spend large $$$

* Main roads /Dept of transport ect
Althought some are running unapprooved mods and many mates know everything
If its an illegal mod and you get pinned for it,only you wear the fines not ya mates

1 - 10 of 10 Posts