Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan GU2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~G'day members,
I recently bought my first fourby, a 2001 GUII ST. As I now know(sigh) the ZD30ti has a few issues...Mine dropped a piston driving down the Hwy!!:rolleyes:
Anyway..I've decided to do a 350chev conversion using a Mark's adaptor and my nissan manual box. Has anyone here done that combo? and could you share some of the experiences and pitfalls with me?
The Trol is undercover where it will stay untill I can save the cash to fix it (many,many moons away)..in the meantime I will study a plan of attack and compile a list of parts and the steps to complete the job in one big hit.
The aim of the game is to end up with a reliable carby fed 350 that will be good for touring.Anyone know a good engineer in the GC/Logan erea that i can consult with from the start to certify the whole shabang??
I will be doing the spanner work myself with the help of some mates...Quite a journey ahead:D I will photo every step and post the process at the end for the benefit of others, so any input from all members would be appreciated!!
Cheers~

·
Creepy Lurker
nissan
542 Posts
Don't know how you will go with getting it Mod plated being an older engine in a newer car with emission laws etc. but good luck to you. Maybe the LS1 or LS2 would be the go if looking for a petrol V8?

All states engineers list - List of Automotive Engineers

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I would think long & hard about doing a conversion (have you done your sums as you say that money is a issue) as it may be easier & possibly cheaper to rebuild or replace the ZD30 instead of replacing it with a chev

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan GU2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the responses,
Looks like the oldschool Chev idea is'nt so great with the engine being older then the vehicle and not up to the emissions standards of the manufacture date...I will check out the costs of the LS1 swap, but I may just have to do the reco ZD and hope for some decent k's out of it.
Thanks~

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
It will cost more than you expect to do the conversion. But if you're prepared to pay then who cares. If you want to keep petrol then I would recommend the LS1. If you're not stressed about what fuel to use I'd go a GenII and run straight LPG. That would be a slightly cheaper option too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts