Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3D Printing is definitely not new anymore and it is becoming more commonplace and accessible to everyone. With printers for the hobbyist now becoming more affordable lots of people are embracing the tech and realising how useful (and entertaining) it can be.

I thought I'd start a thread for people to show off their 3D prints. Not necessarily Patrol or vehicle related. Anything goes. But if you have something useful to share, even better!

Let's see who's getting the creative juices flowing!

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll kick off with a few Patrol related ones...

The first three were my own designs, but I had them professionally printed. Since then I bought a 3D printer and the last one is my own, from start to finish.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,149 Posts
Now i could use some 3D creations in the GQ. Switch panels, consoles, etc.
I did a steering wheel remote using layered PCBs but a 3d model would be one step better

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
115 Posts
My gauge holder is already above, but the other patrol related print was my cupholder in place of the ashtray.

Far better than the standard ones. I will extend it to the left with a 2nd cupholder soon.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a 6yo can use Tinkercad then it's probably a good starting point for me.
A while ago I installed FreeCad basically to convert between file formats for a subcontractor. At that stage I tried a couple of designs of my own but had difficulty getting my head around the process.
I really should get a start on 3d cad generally, because I use Altium for electronic design all day every day.
All any of us needs is a reason or desire to do something and we'll learn. Making console parts for the Patrol may be just the little push required.
My son is a lazy s h 1 t and he's not a big fan of school, but he's got a bit of a brain for numbers so he finds things of a technical nature easy to grasp. Suppose it's partly due to the environment he's growing up in, being constantly exposed to technology and having to use it quite extensively every day. Like many kids in VIC, he's doing at least half his Grade 1 year online while in lockdown.

I've been using CAD software in some form for the last 25 years. I've used many different software packages and find that they all use the same basic principles. I also transitioned from 2D to 3D years ago when 3D software became more powerful and user friendly and I think that transition helped alot. Once you get your head around the most basic principles of modeling, moving from one software package to another is as easy as figuring out where the buttons are.

Software like Tinkercad is great toget you started quickly but I think using only basic shapes will quickly become difficult if you need to model something mildly complex. You need to crawl before you can walk. I think you need to understand how the basic shape is created in the first place.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,667 Posts
There's a bloke down the coast that I know, he has been playing around making bike bits with his 3D printer. Just small stuff at the moment, whilst he gets into the grove of scanning and programming the printer.

Foo

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a bloke down the coast that I know, he has been playing around making bike bits with his 3D printer. Just small stuff at the moment, whilst he gets into the grove of scanning and programming the printer.

Foo
Yeah scanning is the other part of the equation that could be really handy, but I haven't come across a cost-effective solution for that just yet. I deal with a few companies from time to time that have 3D scanning capabilities, but they all use it as a tool for their business and it takes a bit of time to set it up, so I can't really bother them with asking for a favour to scan something "quickly" for me. It costs them time and money.

I think some Officeworks stores have 3D scanning capabilities, but the last time I checked, the closest one to me was in Mentone, so I can't be bothered.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My phone has a 3D scan function, wonder if it's any good for 3D printing
Wow! Never heard of that before... What phone is it? What file type is it generating?

The most common file type used for 3D printing is *.stl but almost any half decent CAD software package can convert into *.stl.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,667 Posts
Wow! Never heard of that before... What phone is it? What file type is it generating?

The most common file type used for 3D printing is *.stl but almost any half decent CAD software package can convert into *.stl.
I haven't looked through this yet but it may help you.

Foo

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
I do heaps of 3D Printing in my industrial design consultancy, Deep Orange Design
This is an improved cup holder that allows two LARGE cups to sit side by side in the Patrol. It sits on the existing cup holder.
Havent got around to printing it yet, but will post pics and share files here or on Thingverse if anyone wants....

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
115 Posts
I do heaps of 3D Printing in my industrial design consultancy, Deep Orange Design
This is an improved cup holder that allows two LARGE cups to sit side by side in the Patrol. It sits on the existing cup holder.
Havent got around to printing it yet, but will post pics and share files here or on Thingverse if anyone wants....
View attachment 523300
I'd love the STL please, that looks like it would work really well alongside mine.
Cheers!
Thingiverse is buggered since their upgrade yesterday. Can't search at all.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
I'd love the STL please, that looks like it would work really well alongside mine.
Cheers!
Thingiverse is buggered since their upgrade yesterday. Can't search at all.
Happy to share, but I havent tested it yet, so Im not sure if it fits properly. Will post here when I get it done.

Reactions: trev zd30

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Printed some spacers for my engine cover so that I can fit a Turbosmart Boost Reference Adaptor underneath the OE boost sensor on the Intercooler. It raises the front edge of the cover by ~16mm.

EDIT:
I took the IC off to start looking for a good spot to mount the boost sensor. While the IC was off, I put the cover back on and took a couple of pics from underneath.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I'll be taking a different route with the boost sensor, so the raised cover and spacers might not be required. That's the beauty of this process. The cost of the prints are negligible so nothing lost if it doesn't work out.

In other news, my wife's knicker drawers keep opening up by themselves. :eek: There are little rubber stoppers at the end of the rails that are worn out. I don't have a rubber-like material e.g. TPU to print, so I had to design something that would be able to flex a little to provide the resistance needed to keep the drawer shut.

Fitted it last night and seems to work better than expected! Photo below shows old rubber on the left and new PLA on the right. Printed them really slow (20mm/s) and on a fine detail (0.15mm) setting. Took just under an hour to print two.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts