Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this set up?
Will 4in Tough Dog adjustable shocks fit under a 2002 GU 4.2TD Patrol with a 3in spring lift??
If not why not?
I have been told The 4” shocks would be too long in the body and you would probably crunch them on compression.
Is this the case or does this setup actually work.
If you run this set up please tell me how it works???

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does anyone have this set up?
Will 4in Tough Dog adjustable shocks fit under a 2002 GU 4.2TD Patrol with a 3in spring lift??
If not why not?
I have been told The 4” shocks would be too long in the body and you would probably crunch them on compression.
Is this the case or does this setup actually work.
If you run this set up please tell me how it works???

Thanks

Richard
Extend the bumper stop to prevent bottom out the shock. Get the longest free height spring to prevent popping it out when extension. Flexy coil or dobinson variable rate would be good start. Failing that drop out cone and coil retainer will solve that.

I am running 4" spring and 6" shock with drop out cone and retainer as well as extended bump stop. Work the treat. But will choice some longer spring to make it simple.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
Are longer bump stops required with this set up zordo?
no mate.
When fitting longer bumpstops it defeats the purpose of longer shocks
EG: fit longer shocks get more travel
fit longer bumpstops reduce travel & make the car sit higher over the rough stuff so back to square one
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
no mate.
When fitting longer bumpstops it defeats the purpose of longer shocks
EG: fit longer shocks get more travel
fit longer bumpstops reduce travel & make the car sit higher over the rough stuff so back to square one
Cheers
Thanks.
I wasnt sure if the longer shocks would bottom out on full compression but now I know they will be ok

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanks.
I wasnt sure if the longer shocks would bottom out on full compression but now I know they will be ok
The shocks will bottom out if you hit a big bump when both coils compress at the same time so really you should be fitting longer bump stops. If you need a warranty on your Tough Dogs they will take off the boot check out the external bump stop and if they have wear you won't or at least shouldn't get a warranty.
If you plan to launch it then fit bump stops, if you drive like miss daisy then they should be fine but don't expect a warranty if you are unlucky. We recommend and sell a lot of Tough Dogs with very few issues and many naughty customers don't fit bump stops with no dramas.

BUT if you are interested in flex it is worth considering the extended and compressed measurements of Tough Dogs compared to Suspension Stuff shocks.

Tough Dogs are:
669mm-459mm = 210mm of travel shock which they use for a 2 or 3" lift.
731mm-488mm = 243mm of travel for a big 4 or 5" lift,
763mm-502mm = 261mm of travel for 6"

Our Suspension Stuff Shocks are:
700mm-422mm= 278mm of travel we use for regular 3" lift. EFS and Dobinsons catalogue have them as a 4" lift shock.
765mm-460mm= 305mm of travel for a regular 6" lift but we use them with our 3" lift flexy coils with no chance of the coils falling out. Many use longer shocks.
Just sold my last pair of test 800mm long shocks tonight. I reckon give me until the end of 2011 before they are available. I will have a 1" external bump stop (Tough Dog run a 2" external bump stop) on these making the compressed length 505mm. I think I need to because a bunch of naughty people won't bother running bump stops. Having said that, I don't seem to get warranties without running the external bump stop but I don't want to push my luck.

Procomp shocks have similar extended and compressed measurements to the Suspension Stuff but they are a bit too soft for most people/Patrols.

Shane

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
obviously zordo and suspension stuff are selling different length shocks, so be aware!!!
If Zordo was talking about the 45mm adjustable Tough Dogs then we are talking about the same shocks which are 731mm extended but more to the point 488mm compressed. I have just elaborated more. I don't disagree with Zordo but giving more info. Just making sure everyone knows that they are voiding their warranty by relying on the Tough Dog external bump stops.

COILS FALLING OUT AND EXTENDED LENGHT SHOCKS

When selecting shock lengths there are 2 ways to figure out what is the best extended length. One way is to flex it up on a ramp. For example, our 3" flexy coils can run 820mm shocks if we were to measure it this way without coming loose.

The other way is to put it on the hoist and mimic what would happen if you hit a bump allowing both left and right tyres to drop at the same time. You will find that you will have to run much shorter shocks if you measure this way. Conservatively we recommend the 6" 765mm shocks with the 3" flexy coils.

With regular 3" coils, unless you fit coil retainers and drop out cones I bet one day you will lose a coil running 4" Tough Dogs unless you keep your sway bar connected.

BUMP STOPS AND COMPRESSED LENGTH SHOCKS

Setting up bump stops can also be measured 2 ways. Flexing it up on the ramp allows you to run smaller bump stops and maximises flex.

The proper way is to pull both your coils out and drop the vehicle onto the shocks then measure your bump stop clearances. This method becomes more and more important as you run longer compressed length shocks. Doing it this way does reduce flex somewhat unless your tyres are already hitting on your chassis tray or guard. If you launch your vehicle and land with force, then this is how to best stuff a shock when a vehicle doesn't have modified bump stops.

Shane

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
RIDE COMFORT

When running really long shocks you also have to consider ride comfort. I have a customer running 34" Procomps with a 3" lift 850mm to about 500mm compressed. He has raised his bump stops to suit and he says he gets a rough ride when hitting larger bumps. Because he has to raise his bump stops so far, it doesn't allow enough room for the suspension to cycle before hitting the bump stops.

Most rock crawling buggies are setup with just about no bump stop clearance. Because they don't go fast, they don't need to worry and it helps with stability in off camber situations. Simply raising bump stops won't automatically give you stability like a buggy though because they haven't raised bump stops but lowered the vehicle and moved shock mounts. Buggy design still allows good chassis clearance and 40"+ tyres helps a lot also.

Shane

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
the end of the world thump/whack when hitting washouts, hard speed bumps etc isn't just a Pootrol problem. My opinion here is that a spring suited to the weight you may be carrying is important but hard to achieve as we rarely drive around loaded up all the time so we have to pick a compromise. A shorter shock and a smaller bumpstop won't prevent that thump/whack from occurring, it will just delay it so it only happens at higher speed/bigger bumps (which I guess would be fine for some depending on what they drive like)

Yanks are fitting these babies...A few companies make them now YouTube - TeraFlex Jeep Speedbump Bumpstops Official Video I can't think of their names right now but the video shows what they do.

On the front of my GQ I fitted modified LC80 rear bumpstops into the front end with a bit of a spacer as they compressed shorter than my stock nissan ones (which were rock solid). The result was a much improved ride when you crashed onto the bumpstops but it still had that horrible "ouch" feeling if you hit hard enough. I did not have the thump/crash feeling at all when running a set of high pressure monotube shocks - they resisted the axle the harder it pushed upwards. they were good shocks for the road but I disliked their performance offroad.

For my JK i have the same problem, it crashes over bumps into rock solid bumpstops. This time I cannot bootyfab anything into it due to its design and I am not keen on spending the money on the fancy pants bumpstops. I have now discovered the Bilstein 5160 which is advertised to make square edges feel like a chocolate topped cream filled Éclair...Will see how they go I think as I love chocolate Éclairs, it is a firm shock but different valving design to the Edelbrock Performer IAS I used on the GQ and supposedly are still comfortable in the rough. but this is less important for me, I spend the majority of my time onroad so it is important the vehicle performs safely and comfortably here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts