Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m new to this and looking to possibly purchase a 2006 or newer 3 litre turbo diesel di patrol. I’m aware they have egr problems which can cause then to pop and have inter cooler splitting problems, is there any other problems that can lead them to be unreliable both in road and off road. The swivel hubs I’m aware of

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
Mate do yourself a favour go to Buying A Nissan Patrol and read the sticky about the ZD30, every question you have is answered there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had a read on most forums and most chat pages all saying the same thing yet no one will point out answers to common questions. Are they a good 4wd and good engine for someone looking to get into four wheeling and camping. My brother and father aswell as a lot of friends have always owned Toyota’s and never had any issues with them however the ones I’m looking at are either out of my price range or auto and naturally aspirated. I’d prefer manual and turbo as I’ve owned a Few manuals and few autos and prefer the manual.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
I don't take much notice of what other forums and chat pages say, especially fakebook, they pale in comparisson to us. Did you read the thread I pointed you to?
I'd like a dollar for everytime this question is asked, that is why we put together correct info for purchasers.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
No one will point out answers to common questions!

The reason is these questions get asked so many times and everyone is over typing the answers time and time again.

You need to be proactive and find yourself the answers, not just sit back and expect them to come flooding in!

As Geeyoutoo pointed out "Mate do yourself a favour go to Buying A Nissan Patrol and read the sticky about the ZD30, every question you have is answered there "

If your prepared to find it and then read it you'll find a whole document with everything you'll ever need to know about these things

·
Registered
636 Posts
My brother and father aswell as a lot of friends have always owned Toyota’s and never had any issues with them
Your family/friends mustn't drive their Toyota's very hard or on challenging tracks to not have any issues. Patrol drivelines are in a whole different league in terms of strength and reliability compared to Toyota's. Don't even get me started on the gearboxes, Patrols win hands down in these departments. The engines well I'm not sold on that yet, I'd happy stick my Toyota engine in a patrol chassis 👌

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I’ve ready the one you pointed out. I’m trying to find out which year and model is going to be the more reliable for my money. If I had 25 plus I’d be sticking with v8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one I know with Toyota has ever had blown motor. Most the people I know with patrols have had multiple.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
If you did read it you would have seen the part where 2004 on they get better and a 2005 on I'd buy a clean one tomorrow, you would have also seen the part where it is said buy the latest one you can afford and that the CRD is as reliable as any other 4x4 on the market.

Just saw your second post so you have answered your own question, if you know that many that have blown up, then don't buy one, buy a toyota.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
Hmmmm! Getting a little suspicious here, a couple of years ago we had a guy from a Pajero forum joined here and was trying to stir things up, was able to trace the origins and speak to the Admin of the forum and sort it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I’m trying to find out if patrols are any good or just hype. Know two people with gu told me there’s certain things to look out for but the more research I do on them the more problems I seem to come across.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
Cool. I’m trying to find out if patrols are any good or just hype. Know two people with gu told me there’s certain things to look out for but the more research I do on them the more problems I seem to come across.
Read what we are pointing you towards first, forget what fakebook and others that have no idea spread around, as said all your questions answered if you put in just a little effort, if your not willing to do that, I'm not willing to continue this conversation and I seriously doubt many others would continue as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not willing to put in the research ? Been doing nothing but research for last couple months. Haven’t been reading Facebook posts as like most forums they seem to have ****s that know **** all about anything. Patrol and Nissan forums general 4wd forums off road forums American and Australian sites spoken to mechanics and people who have had patrols for most their lives and still getting mixed reviews. Everyone saying the 3l are grenade engine and everyone else saying nah they’re the most reliable engine made by Nissan. Came across this site and though I’d put a post up see what other reviews I got 🤷‍♂️ Everything I’m seeing for sale lately either got **** load of kays or been abused to absolute ****

·
Registered
636 Posts
No one I know with Toyota has ever had blown motor. Most the people I know with patrols have had multiple.
Most people I know with Toyota's are on there second engines, myself included. There's unique issues/problems with all engines and all manufactures. It's not just the ZD30 with issues, TD42, TB42/45/48, RB etc all have their own unique issues but they've all been around for so long now and so much information is out there, especially in this forum to instruct people on what they need to do to correct these issues that reliability or grenading is no longer an issue.

Like the others have already said and directed you to the exact threads you need to read (yes, this means reading every post) and you'll have your answers. Then if still not satisfied and still have questions try entering said questions into the search bar at the top of the page and I'm sure you'll find your questions have been asked before.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

1HZ's don't blow up because they are flat out blowing up a balloon. Although a mate of mine just recently spent $16k rebuilding his cause it got sick of towing his van.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Hi everyone I’m new to this and looking to possibly purchase a 2006 or newer 3 litre turbo diesel di patrol. I’m aware they have egr problems which can cause then to pop and have inter cooler splitting problems, is there any other problems that can lead them to be unreliable both in road and off road. The swivel hubs I’m aware of
I have had with the 3Lt diesel and after 9 months of various problems, I am converting it to a LS3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search ‘buying sticky’

There so much info out there it will make your head spin. My account is just one story so take with a grain of salt.
In the end I went on service History plus the newest I could afford and had some cash reserved for a redark boost/egt and 3” exhaust. Didn’t need to do the exhaust since the series VI I bought was tuned and had a turbo back system.
My Bosch CRD pump went after 3 months, 197000 on clock, but she had been sitting for sale for a while. Still much cheaper than a DI pump. Also had to do sway bar links for Tas rego even though it had a QLD roadworthy, I did the trailing arm bushings at the same time. Looks like the swivel hubs will need attention in the next 12 months too, but that’s part of owning a heavy vehicle, maintenance is ongoing.

Third Patrol in the Family and we have had plenty of 4wd’s of all makes between my father, brother and myself.
In the end you are buying a second hand vehicle so be prepared for a few unknowns.
Overall still pleased I bought it even though doing the pump was a PITA especially after a shoulder reconstruction

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,277 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts