Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking to take out the CRD 3.0ltr & replace it with a NEW 4.2TD,any thoughts on this operation & has any one done this.
Its an 09 Patrol & im still looking into whether i will have emission issue's or not.
I have thought about selling my Patrol & buying a 4.2 Patrol but i have put to much gear into this one to then start again with another Patrol.

Any info would be great,have a good Christmas day.

Cheers Tim.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
The search button is your friend I believe!:)

Merry Christmas.:santa:

Registered
nissan
HAHA CANT DO!!

piece of **** 4.2 doesnt meet euroIV like the CRD so it cant be swapped :)

Registered
bugger that,

Just buy a 4.8 :bowdown:

4.2's are too stupidly priced, i wouldnt buy another one unless it came up as a real bargain.

You will save $20 000 buying a 4.8 instead of 4.2 and $20 000 extra fuel consumption will take a looooong time to catch up.

And you get the power and fun of a 4.8 with a 3.5 tonne towing capacity and an auto!

Registered
nissan
Sorry bud its illegal to install engines in cars that are older than the car themselves. In your case i cant why you want to?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry bud its illegal to install engines in cars that are older than the car themselves. In your case i cant why you want to?
Yeah mate i think that you maybe rite about that one.I only wanted to up grade the engine due to lack of power when towing a camper,on the black top it drives me crazy how it dies on any kind of a hill.
a few other options to fix this are still being looked at.

Thanks guys for your replies & keen to hear any more on this.

Cheers Tim.

Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
Depends where you live I'd say and just How legal you want to be. To be honest, it's never worth the hassle to convert a CRD, I'd have thought - but not impossible. Just sell it to a some RD28 sucker looking for some real towing power and use the cash to buy a late GU TD42T. You can't get easier than that now can you !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends where you live I'd say and just How legal you want to be. To be honest, it's never worth the hassle to convert a CRD, I'd have thought - but not impossible. Just sell it to a some RD28 sucker looking for some real towing power and use the cash to buy a late GU TD42T. You can't get easier than that now can you !
Hi mate,

To sell what i have would be an option but to then try & buy a late model Gu TD4.2 cheap enough isnt easy.
On car sales rite now there is an 05 GUTD42,this one has a stack of extra's on it but he wants $75k for it with 110k on the clock.Thats the only one in Vic that i could find.I saw some interstate models the other day & they are all $50k plus & with out any extra's on them.
I can buy a brand spankn new TD42 engine from Nissan for 11k & then it needs to be fitted out,if i can get it done i think that will be a good way to go.Some people i have spoken to are saying it can be done,maybe i should ask RTA here in Melbourne..

Your thoughts

Cheers Tim.

Registered
Hi mate,

To sell what i have would be an option but to then try & buy a late model Gu TD4.2 cheap enough isnt easy.
On car sales rite now there is an 05 GUTD42,this one has a stack of extra's on it but he wants $75k for it with 110k on the clock.Thats the only one in Vic that i could find.I saw some interstate models the other day & they are all $50k plus & with out any extra's on them.
I can buy a brand spankn new TD42 engine from Nissan for 11k & then it needs to be fitted out,if i can get it done i think that will be a good way to go.Some people i have spoken to are saying it can be done,maybe i should ask RTA here in Melbourne..

Your thoughts

Cheers Tim.
11K for a new engine sounds like a good deal. Make sure it comes with an injector pump. I bet it doesnt.

Registered
nissan
Some people i have spoken to are saying it can be done,maybe i should ask RTA here in Melbourne.
It simply cant get around the legislation that requires the engine to be of the same emmissions class, the TD42Ti (with all functioning equipment Ie ECU, electronic IP, EGR ect.) only made EUROIII. The CRD is EUROIV, there is simply no way the TD42Ti can be fitted unless you re-engineer the 4.2 to the same emmissions standards and have it certified there is no way this will happen.

Your quote of 11k will not be for the ECU, harness and all the other stuff like injection pump. Id think that you would be looking at $20k easy to buy it from Nissan even if you could legally have it fitted.

Duramax can be fitted legally easy as it exceeds EUROIV.

Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
and that (Ben's post) is probably why Nissan no longer market the TD42, it simply cannot get near the required emission standards without a load of electronics. Even if Nissan did it, people would still complain it drives like a truck motor and chose something with more cams etc etc to get that "car feel". To the OP, your problem is the car, why not sell it and buy an older GU with a blown ZD30 ? Then surely you'd have cash to do the conversion and some left over for goodies ? Can't believe those late GU TD42 prices !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts