Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made this up this afternoon for someone else and realised how really heavy my current reinforced 3mm steel air dam is so I’ll be making another one exactly the same for myself.

I can only do a single bend with my ghetto panbrake system so I’ve welded the fixing bands to complete it.

I cut it from a half sheet with my bench mounted guillotine. Took about an hour all up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,156 Posts
Have often thought of making one out of 16g stainless I have as my plastic one is getting on a bit, might be a winter project, thanks for reminding me.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,156 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,384 Posts
Some years back I dropped in at JFF45's place and he saw my plastic air dam was cracked so he gave me his old (in perfect condition) plastic one he had replaced with steel. I've now stuffed that one too due to becoming really, really badly bogged in thick gooey mud. I'll have your steel one once you do an ally one John.:D

I don't think a 3mm ally one would survive on my truck. The plastic ones certainly aren't up to the task.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,642 Posts
There's a lot to be said for the plastic factory units.
I wouldn't want a metal one caught up in the steering gear...

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Some years back I dropped in at JFF45's place and he saw my plastic air dam was cracked so he gave me his old (in perfect condition) plastic one he had replaced with steel. I've now stuffed that one too due to becoming really, really badly bogged in thick gooey mud. I'll have your steel one once you do an ally one John.:D

I don't think a 3mm ally one would survive on my truck. The plastic ones certainly aren't up to the task.
I'll put your name on it :)

This is when I made the steel one. I started with a 12mm square bar frame copied from the plastic unit and welded the 3mm steel sheet to the frame.
That's the plastic giveaway unit there :)
There's also a 3mm steel plate that attaches to it but it bolts to my winch cradle so would need something added to fit to a GU bar. You're welcome to it as well..

I've never hit anything with it because I use my vehicle differently but I understand that a rigid air dam would not be practical for some.

Attachments

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,268 Posts
If you're capable of cutting and welding your drawers to fit your 2nd battery, you should be able to make something as simple as an air dam.
Yes, just not out of alloy or up to your std.
Just need to get motivated.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Does anyone have diamensions as mine didn't come with one also and am looking at getting one made up
Thanks jono

1 - 15 of 15 Posts