Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 4.8
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Thinking about putting in a third battery in the back somewhere. Currently have a AGM 33ah under the hood which I could upgrade to a 50ah that's the same size. Space is a bit tight around a 4.8 on gas, abs and a few other bits.. The question is does it matter what sort/size the third battery is as long as its deep cycle?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
No doubt the gurus will chime in, but it's my understanding that it's best to have identical batteries for #2 and 3, so the dual battery charging system will charge them equally.

I had 3 batteries in my GQ - 2X100AH in the back, and hooked them up to a Redarc with no issues.

You'll have to have decent cabling running to the back battery as well - I used welding cable which worked fine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi goatroxley, you can fit any size or type of battery you want, even a cranking type battery.

The only requirement, for safety reasons, is that the battery must be mounted in a plastic battery box, and this should be well secured.

The reason for the plastic battery box is to protect your vehicle should the battery leak or spew electrolyte.

For quick recharging, as burr boy suggested, run decent cabling and don’t forget to fit suitable circuit breakers at either end of the positive cable going to the rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts