Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this lacks detail but twice now I've posted my problem and it's not been accepted by moderators, I joined another forum but not a single comment, even nissan won't look at a workshop manual for me unless I pay for the time,
I'm happy to give more detail if this one ever makes it to the forum
And I can try get some photos up, I've posted pics to Facebook so can post that link again IF the moderators accept this one.

Im at the reassembling stage of my rebuild and..,.,, am stuck on one part

Once timing chain cover is removed
The hex shaft that sits at 2oclock to the injector pump gear??
I labled and bagged everything I removed and I definatly don't remember the part ever being in there. I just have a 10mm hole which NONE of my 10mm bolt threads seems to screw into.

Can anyone help out with a pic of just this part? Or atleast a description of what it is/does?

Thanks heaps in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
44 Posts
Waidri, I seen your post in my other thread. To be honest with you im not %100 sure on what purpose this bolt has, unless it is only there to apply tension of the black case to the block so the gasket doesn't leak behind it, im not entirely sure. It didn't have any role in me timing my engine up or anything like that... maybe if you can print of one of my photos in my thread and show your dealer so they can order it for you? Also where are you located?
Did you have the block apart and do a full rebuild? Did the machining shop pull the block down and forget to give you this part back?? Just thinking of scenarios of what could have happened.
Hope this helps mate
Shano

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Dronus4x4, where are you.

Dronus did a strip down on severrral old ZD30 blocks just to look at all the parts and see how it all works. He may have some spare bitts if he has npt got rid of the lot yet.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30.../zd30-strip-down-photo-video-requests-127825/

see post # 118
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30...-down-photo-video-requests-127825/index6.html

If you are talking about the hex head plug? I think it is there to remove and insert a bar to lock the timing cog in place whilst you undo the nut on the cog. But I'm not sure of that. PM Dronus4x4 if he does not chime in here soon.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far guys. I was just a little worried as when I look in the hole it looks like a water/oil journal on the side of the hole closest to the injector pump so it had me thinking that it may have been an oiler for the timing chain.
I'm in lower north island of New Zealand and my wife has just reminded me of the wreckers I got my intercooler from and they may have the part available if the vehicles they have are ones with damaged engines,
However if it's purpose is to serve as a glorified bolt and fill the hole in between undoing the cog then I think id be able to find a suitable replacement without any nissan symbol or price tag.

I tried 3 different 10mm threads with no joy which also gave me that feeling It may be an oiler or something with a different/bsp thread or something,
The block went away for the rebore but i stripped it down prior to it leaving my garage. I labled and bagged every bolt to it's designated area so to not have this confusion now, which has left me with the conclusion that the half arsed rebuilder (19,500 km ago) never put it back in.
I wouldn't have left it in when I sent it away as I had to put it in the boot of my car to get there and would have see the potential with it sticking out so far that it could be damaged in transit.
Was literally bare when I sent it in, right down to the oil squirters being removed, and they were a pain to put in once the shop installed pistons and crank for me, (wife=small hands= oil squirters her job)

I shall try dronus4x4 in the morning if I've not had a sure fire answer.

The part In Question is indeed the hex shPed plug, looks long In the pics I've seen hence me calling it a shaft.
About to look at links now.
Thanks heaps guys. Wish my 1st 2 posts had gone up this quick when I tried last week, I'd have my truck back by now if they did.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok looked at links. Post 118 the hex shaft/plug I'm talking of is above the red circle In post 118, not the threaded hole directly above it but slightly left and a little further up is the hex I talking of.
It is inside the timing cover

Cheers

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Not sure if Dronus is active on the forum atm.

BTW welcome Waidri, sorry about your registration hassles - the board software seems very unreliable when it comes to send us approval requests.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Not sure if Dronus is active on the forum atm.

BTW welcome Waidri, sorry about your registration hassles - the board software seems very unreliable when it comes to send us approval requests.
Yes Dronus has left the building.

And yes Squalo, even though we are quick to be blamed it's not always our fault, I said in his other post that his user name had not come to my attention before and would like a few details like where and when to check what happened.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geeyoutoo and squalo,
Thank you, and about the registration I wasn't directly blaming the moderators, I know how lovely technology can be when you need it to do something. When I referred to not being accepted my moderators yet I only said that as the last message displayed was (roughly) "thanks for your post this won't be visible until it has been approved by a moderator" then after checking regularly I tried again a day or 2 later, same issues second time, so a day or 2 later again I posted on shano-89's thread as it was the most current rebuild post,
After Geeyoutoo said to repost in the same board I did this and it showed instantly,

Sorry I can't be more specific on the dates of failed posts.

I will push some air into the bolt hole tonight and see if it blows through to water journals or anything.
If not then I will be more positive that it was left out by last builder and I may do the same if it's only keeping the hole clear till the gear stopping bolt is installed.

Coming up 2 months off the road now and it would be much better for work than the wife's car haha

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok shano-89
I have worked a bit more out,
It is definatly an oil journal behind it, put a bit of air in and this was confirmed.

Now that's got me realy thinking.
If the hex shaft/bolt was missing then this should have caused troubles building oil pressure ?? Or Mayby it got enough oil pressure to turn oil light off and that's all?

I've only seen a couple of different pictures of the part, is anyone able to confirm that it definatly doesn't have a hole through it and bin one side that squirts a bit onto the timing chain?

The fact it's not just a bolt with a 6sided head sort of makes you think it's more than just holding the plate to the block, and if it just did that then why the heck would they tap it into an oil journal,? And why such a strange thread size.

A thought that just popped into my head I will try one of the banjo bolts from the turbo oiler just to check the thread.

Attachments

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Howdy I think you are referring to the hole which reveals the idler lock for the IP. It should have a bung in it.

I think I still have one in my collection of bolts if you still need it. I think I have that complete facing plate.

Let me know, I'll send it over.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys.
Just following up on this, I gave attached a photo of the part,
"Jet oil" it's called and squirts oil onto the timing chain and other gears, I've ordered one and will photograph the part for anyone else's information.
It makes me wonder tho how this engine went for 19500km when it must have been loosing so much oil pressure, if this part wasn't fitted.
I've tidied the garage and still no sign,
after ordering a genuine at 10 days ex japan I found a wrecker who let me have one so I will have 2 now but I'm impatient like that.

Got a few running issues now tho, but I think that's a new thread explaining from start to now and will all questions I have at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Bit of a thread dig here, currently putting my head back on & up to doing the timing chain.

I've bought a replacement oil squirter as i thought it would be good to change it out incase the old one was partially blocked.
The squirter that it still on the engine is longer & with hexagon end rather then the replacement one which is shorter & has a cone shaped end. Does anyone know if the cone shaped one is just a superseded version of the hexagon head one? or are they for 2 different series of engine? (see attached photos for reference)

From what i can tell the hexagon end one is part number: 130812W201 (red circled part)
The cone end one if part number: 130812W20A

130812W20A-2.jpg

Inked130C_001_LI.jpg

Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
I don't know for sure as I don't know what year your engine is. One of the engine upgrades done by Nissan to the ZD30 were the oil squirters throughout the engine. They were changed around 2002-2003.
I'll have a look to see if I have the pics on my laptop in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
I don't know for sure as I don't know what year your engine is. One of the engine upgrades done by Nissan to the ZD30 were the oil squirters throughout the engine. They were changed around 2002-2003.
I'll have a look to see if I have the pics on my laptop in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ah yes i should have added those details, my car is a 2005 patrol series 4 with a zd30DI (Non CRD). So by the sounds of it my engine should have the upgraded oil squirters?
If you have a way of checking that would be awesome! As it looks like i may have accidentally bought an early model timing chain oil squirter by the sounds of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts