Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone had any exprenice with 3rds productions front arms?
i searched it but got mixed info some say they were tuff as and good for flex and some saying there are **** house and rip out from the chassis???
its for a gq with a 5 inch lift

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
hey mate

I've not had any experience with the 3rd's front arms but i do have their lower and upper rear control arms on my truck and the quality is 10/10. So i would imagine the front would be of the same quality and i dont think you would be dissapointed!!

cheers

phil

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
mate i got steered away from them too.for the price i would goto superflex

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stay away from them! They are a poor design that puts alot of stress on the chassis mounts that they were not designed to take.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm well i brought them today. second hand for a good price. i could see how they would be a bit of stress on the chassis. almost finished painting them and will chuck some new bushes in and see how they go... i'll just be taking it easy untill im decided whether to keep them or not.
i could have ago at strengthening the chassis mounts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
A mate got them in his GQ and yes they did break out the chassis mounts once a few years ago but since being fixed and strengthened he hasn't had a problem since. This rig is always loaded and has a raised GVM to 4500kg though, and does a lot of off road touring. Flexes very well too.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats comforting. u got a thread build i can find?
did u give them a bit of a punishing? i want to be sure they arnt ganna pull threw my mounts or brake anything thats ganna be a bitch to fix

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i might play it safe and strengthen up a the chassis mount before i put them in.
do u know if they use standed patrol bushes? i read on outlimits forum that they use GU bushes

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
i think i might play it safe and strengthen up a the chassis mount before i put them in.
If you are going to put them in then I'd take that advice.

Personally, I wouldn't use them.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have found out that the bolt that bolts onto the pin end tends to come loose caused by rotational movement in the arms which i assume would contribute a hole lot to the chassis cracking.

i will try a lock nut bolt with another locking bolt behind it and keep an eye on any movement in the bolt. aswell at having a go at strengthening the chassis mount where the arm bolts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
aswell at having a go at strengthening the chassis mount where the arm bolts
It's the welded bush seats where the radius arm pin goes through that usually let go not the chassis mount itself.

·
Registered
nissan/gq
59 Posts
arms

they come with 2 nuts one standard and one nyloc to keep them in,you need to keep checking them and tighting them when the bush ware's out,
they also tend to steer when under braking.
you should brace the chassi mounts both sides with 6mm plate.
other then that ive been running them for 3yrs and they are great​

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they come with 2 nuts one standard and one nyloc to keep them in,you need to keep checking them and tighting them when the bush ware's out,​

they also tend to steer when under braking.
you should brace the chassi mounts both sides with 6mm plate.​

other then that ive been running them for 3yrs and they are great​
got them second hand so will have to get some new nyloc nuts and normal nuts for them.
mine already steers a little bit when braking. pretty sure it just needs a wheel alignment though.
other then that how do u find them on the road?
so far i think they should be good. everyone i've talked to that has used them has run them for a long period of time with no problems

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
weld a 5/6 mm plate in. my mate ripped 1 out up the cape and hes a show pony that goes around the rough stuff.

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
hey bud i run them on a gu with 7in lift with 37's lockers and all the fruit, gets driven daily and used hardcore in the bush. ive used it for touring to its been from the cape to sydney and all around. my truck cracked and broke around the bush locating boss's. i re welded them back up and plan to install thicker plate in there to avoid again. mind you they havent re broken yet. my bushes only seem to last about 6-8 months with regular bush work. i found the ride is a little harsher with these arms but nothing to complain about, but when the bushes were its bad when you hit any kind off potholes or corragations.. iam going to trial either superior super flex arms or the unlimited industries arms with the drop box clevis mounts and see what i like. strength wise the 3rds are awesome! ive given mine absolute hell and theve taken everything thrown at them so far. cheers Dave......

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
iam going to trial either superior super flex arms or the unlimited industries arms with the drop box clevis mounts and see what i like. strength wise the 3rds are awesome! ive given mine absolute hell and theve taken everything thrown at them so far. cheers Dave......
hey, i've been slack and still havent got around to fitting them up. been busy with other mods at the moment. the plan is to weld some 6mm plate in to strengthn the mounts up.

them unlimited industries arms with the clevis mount drop boxes look like the s****. if im not happy with these 3rd's arms i might give them ago. want to try something different to superior arms. every man and his dogs got superior arms

thanks for all the replys. i will post up photos soon of them welded up and in.
Also i picked up some 8inch though dog shocks with some shock tower extentions so that should be a good test for the 3rds arms

1 - 20 of 25 Posts