Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if i could ask a few questions and hopefully the pootrol guru's will pipe up :D.

1) Is their a online FSM available for download for the 4.2 Diesel ?.
2) Are blown head gaskets a common problem for the 4.2 Diesel ?.

Here's the story:

I have a 4.2 Diesel donk in my truck (non turbo).
Its been chewing water from the radiator.
On start up (after glowing) i have been getting a tiny bit of white smoke from the exhaust.
Noticed the temp was creeping up rather fast so decided to make a pit stop at home and see what the go was.
Radiator was empty, so i topped it up, let it idle with the cap off and im getting a few tiny bubbles in the filler tube.

I primed the whole cooling system correctly so with the combination of the white exhaust smoke and tiny bubble i recon Ive done a head gasket.

I believe i have caught this early, so now is the time to act.

Im going to do the work myself as i have all the tools and alot of experience in molesting engines in different 4x4's.

More questions:

3) What is the best brand of head gasket to use ?.
4) If this is a common problem, can i use ARP head bolts and torque it up a tad more than stock ?.

Thanks in advance,
Hairy

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Can't answer all your questions, but no, this is not a common problem with the TD42, in fact quite rare.Though it certainly sounds like a head gasket in your case.
Do you use anti corrosive additive in the coolant and change as recommended?
While the head is off have it fully recoed, at a reputable shop. (They will shave it).
Check the block for true.
Use the best head casket you can find,(Nizzbits) and replace the head bolts. Sure use ARP, but not sure about tightening over spec.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bruza,

Ive had the car for less than 2 months, so a routine maintenance schedule has not been finalized for it as of yet (so no cooling system flushes / fluid changes have been carried out by me apart from the 'top up' the other day.)

The old owner informed me (and provided documentation) to indicate that the engine was fully rebuilt 175k ago.

When i do the head gasket i am also going to replace the thermostat, water pump, hoses and radiator after a 2 part chemical cooling system flush.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated RE: the OP questions guys.

cheers,
Hairy

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BuuuuuuuuuuuuuMp ...............................

140+ views and one reply .............

Come on folks, i was told that Patrol 4x4 forum was full of tech heads ......... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Dont bother with the flush.
get the radiator serviced, and pull the drain bung out of the block before you take the head off. it's easy to get at with a breaker bar after you take the exhaust off, its low on the block right at the back. 14mm? 12mm?

never done a head myself but have read they are a pain to seal. wash the block and the head with solvent and do not put any "sealant" on it or it will leak.

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
don't overtorque as this may cause stress cracking.
sorry, have not seen online specs or manuals

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol ute
15 Posts
to confirm that its a head leak ,take it to a radiator shop n have a co2 test done. not a lot of $ n u will have peace of mind one way or the other
its not uncommon to have a few bubbles hanging around after uve topped up
also check dipstick n oil filler on rocker cover for any signs of oil -water emulsion
good luck

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Surely it cannot be a 4.2!
With a engine rebuild and now possible head gasket!!!

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Surely it cannot be a 4.2!
With a engine rebuild and now possible head gasket!!!
If your useless input was required we would have rattled your cage!

Even the best engine that Nissan ever put out can be ruined by irresponsible owner/drivers (no reflection intended to you Hairy).

·
Registered
Nissan Armada
4 Posts
to confirm that its a head leak ,take it to a radiator shop n have a co2 test done. not a lot of $ n u will have peace of mind one way or the other
its not uncommon to have a few bubbles hanging around after uve topped up
also check oil dipstick n oil filler on rocker cover for any signs of oil -water emulsion
good luck
That is true--if the oil dipstick shows a white-ish substance with the oil that is a sure sign of a damaged head gasket. Also, weak or losing power uphill is a sign of a bad head gasket.

EDIT: Issue resolved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts