Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this caper and this forum so please try to tolerate me for awhile. My problem is a fuel one with my gu4 4.2 td. 5000ks ago I had the fuel system checked by a very reputable diesel place, injectors ( 1 replaced ), injector pump etc etc all that could be done, 2 weeks ago the vehicle started to misbehave, it would idle ok but when put under load as going up hill it would just die, having to change down gears that I would normally go up in 5th gear. I thought I must have picked up some rubbish in the tank as there was a very small amount of water and dirt in the fuel bowl, I drained the tank, blew the line clear with compressed air back to the tank, replaced the filter and refilled with clean fuel, problem still there, since then have found 1 injector had to be replaced, and the pressures were all over the place, anyway I now have 6 new injectors but the problem is still there. Any ideas would be appreciated:headwall:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you cleaned the tiny filter in the top of the injector pump? It's my favourite goto when the the old girl starts to lag.
Straight on top of the pump, from memory 17mm nut on a banjo fitting, under that is a spring and under that again is the tiny filter. Extract it with a bent wire, blow it clean and reinstall.
Hopefully it's that simple. And no, I have no idea how gunk gets in there, but it does!

·
Registered
nissan
6,180 Posts
Most common fuel problems for a TD42 Patrol
1. Fuel filters, both the main one and the small one at the pump.
2. Sucking air, usually at the hand primer on top of the main filter.
3. Injector pump wear.
4. Injector wear

I don't know why anyone would change just one injector on a TD42. They only cost $450 exchange for a set of 6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts