Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I´ve been looking for information about installing a turbo kit to the 4.5 petrol engine, to help it move the ship more quickly.
Does anyone know whats the static compression of the 2001 4.5 petrol engine? I´d like to use a small turbo with 5-6 psi, as long as I dont need to replace and install forged parts on it. Are there larger injectors for the 4.5? I read somewhere that the skyline´s might fit.
Any experience with this type of projects before?
Thanks in advance!
Gerardo

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
all i have had with them is rod out the side lol, they just dont seem to be able to handle a turbo past 6 psi

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
you dont want a small turbo, the TB45 is a comparitively large engine. You need a T4 or Holset, much bigger than a skyline garret.

Even a T4 will spool quickly on low boost, ie 5-7psi as there is ****load of exhaust gas to move in a TB. PM me if you want a cheap Holset with T3 base. I have a couple and im saving one for my TB45 once I get some time.

Out of interest have a look what ford fitted to the barra engines, they are only 4L and are punchy with the fairly "large" turbine wheel.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
First pic is a standard na rb30 rod second pic is a standard tb45 rod, rb30 rod makes the tb45 rod look like a match stick. My opinion, turbo should not be performed without at least upgrading conrods but if you have the conrods out you might as well do the lot pistons, pins, bearings, rings, decompression plate, hd valve springs etc. etc. so yeah do it properly or not at all for the tb45, they weren't designed with a turbo in mind.

There's a guy on this forum or 4wd action that's blown two of these motors with a turbo and has now put a na falcon motor in.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm looks like too much trouble for what i expect from this rig. I'll better keep it std and reliable to transport the family safely back home. Just need to improve my patience until it gets to 100 km/ hr
Thank you all for the info btw.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It still goes quite well at 100km/hr, just need to wait until it gets there. I feel the same in my tb42, but once its there it just purs along at 1600 rpm.It can be a little annoying around town and on hills though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have a search. On the GU forum there is a current thread on turboing TB45's, with a link to Grant's build, drive, wreck thread. From reading, TB45 rods are OK to 6-8 psi boost, TB42 rods are quite a bit bigger and stronger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
6/8 psi is ok there is a company in Sydney called them he has fitted quit a few with no problems to date
About 8k fitted drive away

1 - 10 of 10 Posts