Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced the same issue and I am having? My GU will backfire very loud under the bonnet, when running on gas, not all the time, sometimes when i give it plenty, other times under load. Lose power and not sure what its destroying. Cant run it on petrol at the moment as the previous owner had always ran on gas so the injectors are rooted :( i have only owned it for a month or so. Any help would be great!! cheers - pete.

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
Having some experience with LPG and busted valves I would suggest get your valve clearances checked asap followed by a compression test, sounds like you may have an inlet valve issue. Assuming the basics such as tune and timing etc are ok.

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
New leads/plugs are a must do, a good ignition system is vital for LPG. Also as above, a good tune.

·
Registered
430 Posts
New leads/plugs are a must do, a good ignition system is vital for LPG. Also as above, a good tune.
x eleventyboggetillion.

Spend the money on a set of Magnacore leads, you wont be dissapointed. Make sure the dissy cap & rotor are in good condition as well as use quality plugs like Bosch, NGK or Denso.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
27 Posts
I would also have your LPG converter checked, this is normally done when a good tune is done. I went and got my 4.5 GU tuned at a LPG place (dyno tune), it could not be tuned because the converter was cactus and was not producing enough gas to run the car. This meant the car was running to lean and was a backfire waiting to happen, and it had been up to this time.

Also when you have a backfire through the air intake this can kill the converter.

RED...

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i will check all above asap and get a dyno tune and check the convertor and that as soon as my mechanic runs out of drinking money and opens up shop !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts