Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has a 4.8 auto, does your vehicle have a power/economy or similar switch for the automatic?

Cheers,
Shayne

Registered
The 03 didn't. Just the snow button.

Registered
Is that one of your cars Fester??

I am working out the wiring loom for my conversion, and thought it may have had a mode switch for the box, like many do.

Does yours have a switch for this @klappers?
It was mine shayne, don't have it anymore unfortunately, was brilliant. Had it new in 03 but had to sell it in 08 thanks to redundancy. I don't recall ever having a power/econ switch anywhere. It certainly wasn't on the centre console. Only had the snow button which I think was a first gear lockout and softened the other gears/changes. Used it a couple of times on the beach and crawling but never really felt a good use of it. Never had it in the snow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks fellas. I will find out if the wiring loom I have matches this "Snow" switch. It has a wire for "Mode" so that is likely it. I will have to find out what it does in the box - what it changes. Given I have a programmable TCU, I will see what benefit it may provide.

LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
Shayne look up Sunshine Coast 4WD Wreckers, ring them and ask for Shane. He is Purplebus here, and has forgotten more about Patrols than most of us will ever know. He had a 4.8 box behind his 454 conversion I think. Tell him Murray said to call.

Registered
Nissan
Ok, thanks fellas. I will find out if the wiring loom I have matches this "Snow" switch. It has a wire for "Mode" so that is likely it. I will have to find out what it does in the box - what it changes. Given I have a programmable TCU, I will see what benefit it may provide.
Snow mode dulls throttle response and makes it smooth like butter. It talks to both the ecu and the TCU to make this happen due to the 4.8 auto running an electronic throttle

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, so I may be able to do something similar. Indications are I can run an "A" and "B" map.

Perhaps an "offroad mode" with different shift points etc may be of some use. I will find out if it is doable.

Registered
Nissan
Yeah, so I may be able to do something similar. Indications are I can run an "A" and "B" map.

Perhaps an "offroad mode" with different shift points etc may be of some use. I will find out if it is doable.
Not without an electronic throttle you won't

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I have another question for any 4.8 auto owners. Klappers has been giving me some info (cheers), however he is out of town for another week. I will be doing some gearbox work this weekend, so some info would be handy.

I am fitting the RE5 auto into my GQ, so I need to set up the shifter in the GQ floorpan which is different. So I will need to make some linkages. I would like to see a picture of the gearbox linkages in a factory GU, from underneath the car on the drivers side.

This will give me a good idea of the lengths and angles needed for correct operation of the shifter. Any info appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts