Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i would like to know if anyone has fitted 4.8 litre rotors to the front of a 3.0 litre they are bigger , do you need callipers as well as rotors and pads or do the 3.0 litre ones fit.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Yes all been done before.

Should turn up if you search.

Relatively common conversion and straight forward.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Also if you find a 4.5 Patrol in breakers yard they came standard with air scoops or the Middle East version did. These can also be carried over to the 3.0 brake setup for better cooling.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Yes all been done before.

Should turn up if you search.

Relatively common conversion and straight forward.

Cheers

Justin
Really, is it straight forward?
I thought you have to change the whole lot: swivel hub, stub axle, hubs, discs, calipers etc. As I did not think the calipers for the 4.8 bolt to the same as 3L bolt pattern on the hub. But that could have been misinformation as the wreckers wanted to sell me the complete set.
I looked at doing it but had to buy a complete 4.8 front diff with brakes to get all the parts to do it and the wreckers here in WA want stupid money for them.

I ended up using the 4.8 softer pads in the 3L calipers as they are exactly the same shape to fit the same and used slotted discs to fit the 3L size rotor. Recond my calipers and it is a huge improvement.

Or you could try this kit

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/4-piston-upgrade-kit-66146/

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Yeah my rear ones seem to get bent in a bit and I hear them rub. I don't pressure wash brakes or patrol anymore. I found it was doing more damage then good as blasted dirt into all seals etc.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,063 Posts
So the calliper is the same for both 3 & 4.2? I thought they were different.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Really, is it straight forward?
I thought you have to change the whole lot: swivel hub, stub axle, hubs, discs, calipers etc. As I did not think the calipers for the 4.8 bolt to the same as 3L bolt pattern on the hub. But that could have been misinformation as the wreckers wanted to sell me the complete set.
I looked at doing it but had to buy a complete 4.8 front diff with brakes to get all the parts to do it and the wreckers here in WA want stupid money for them.

I ended up using the 4.8 softer pads in the 3L calipers as they are exactly the same shape to fit the same and used slotted discs to fit the 3L size rotor. Recond my calipers and it is a huge improvement.

Or you could try this kit

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/4-piston-upgrade-kit-66146/
That thread has been dead since 2011 and I seem to recall some issues with the kit or the suppliers....

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,726 Posts
you don't need the master cylinder.....
I did, but mine's a Series 1.

There are a couple of different master cylinders. Later cylinders have a bigger bore. I think the larger size was introduced at the same time as the TB48's, and was used across the range.....but don't hold me to it, as it's not easy to determine exactly what was done, and when, to what.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Yeah my rear ones seem to get bent in a bit and I hear them rub. I don't pressure wash brakes or patrol anymore. I found it was doing more damage then good as blasted dirt into all seals etc.
Same here, don't pressure wash the brakes, well not the calipers anyway.

When I rebuilt the front calipers, both the seals on the top pistons had water in under the first bellows type boot of the seal which is where the pressure washer would hit first. This water does not get through the piston Oring seal (square section seal) so it does not get in the brake fluid but sits in under the boot and rusts the piston so it sticks in the bore and buggers the seals. I needed new pistons only for the top one on each side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts