Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have found a 4.8 02 GU ST limited edition Patrol. 5 spd auto.
Its on duel fuel, around 165.000km

At the point of getting it checked out by a mechanic ( looking for a good 4x4 mechanic )

Just curious about what i need to look out for!
what should i pay particular attention to?
common issues etc?
There is no service history unfortunately, which does worry me. But hopefully with a through check we can see what the car is really like.

I drove it, drove well. No apparent issues.

Also like to know what i am in for economy wise. and service costs..
so far been quoted around $350-400 for a minor service
I do a fair bit of suburban driving, and drive out on the hwy abit.
Main reason to buy it is to tow a horse float. Again not sure of the economy if you have around 1.5 T on the back.

pretty much just needing some opinions .. is this a good way to go? or do people have alot of trouble with them?

cheers

·
Registered
851 Posts
Regarding economy, it is nice (almost necessary?) to have the larger aftermarket 75l petrol subtank if you want to go past the last gas servo out in the bush. If not budget another $800 plus fitting.

If you use the search function on this forum (see top dark bar) you will find a lot.

Also budget a chunk of money to get the valve shims checked and adjusted as soon as you buy it as they will recess the valves a bit especially if worked hard on gas.

On my old TB42 GQ towing a horse float at 100 Km/hr into a headwind I got 33 litres/100 Km using petrol and it would have been worse (but much cheaper) on gas. I think people say the TB48 is a bit better but not a lot. If you go slow, say 95, on the flat and not into the wind I would expect they can be quite economical. My TB45 on gas runs about 25 l/100Km on gas towing my 1.5t camper on the highway at about 100 Km/hr. Obviously it gets a lot worse in the mountains. The TB48 would be a whisker better and has a lot more power. The TB48 is very strong. If you search U-tube you can find Arab turbos with 1000hpdragging off lambos and flying up dunes with huge rooster tails

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks heaps. have done a few searches.

I drove it again today and took the dad along. ( not that he is really into patrols)
but we noticed a few issues.
At idle there was a substantial rumbling/vibrating.
a bit of a kick back when changing gear into and out of reverse.
A few other acceleration issues as well.

There is no service history and its all very vague. I think i am going to leave it.

I am concerned that after purchasing, i'm going to need to do a major service and just keep adding up the costs of an already over priced car.

I;m thinking the 4.8 is abit of an overkill for mostly city driving with some towing.

I have found a 99' 4.5 duel fuel with 200,000km for nearly 10k less. which will still do a great job. ( again no service logs, but apparently kept very well)

People keep trying to steer me towards a pajero:confused: which has a smaller engine then my 06 Falcon ute. I don't see it cutting it out towing.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
General consensus here in the UAE is that the 4.5 is much heavier in fuel consumption than the 4.8, and is pretty underpowered in comparison

Steve

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
General consensus here in the UAE is that the 4.5 is much heavier in fuel consumption than the 4.8, and is pretty underpowered in comparison

Steve
I have just read up on that. In that case the 4.8 is much more appealing.

I drive my friends 4.2 on her property, drag her sawdust arena for hours on end over the month. It's a pretty comfy ride, but doesn't compare to the newer 4.8.

I have spoken to nissan today, and they said not to touch a duel fuel without service records! no matter what.

Keep trying to steer me towards diesel. Costs at replacing major issues are estimated at around 5k for reco head?

it is a hard call, just don't want to get stooged and be up for huge repair bills.

·
Registered
66 Posts
s.m the 4.8 should idle dead smooth, smoothest motor I have ever known at idle. Could be likely the valves are past the point of adjustment and you are looking at a head rerbuild. Common problem with 4.8 on gas.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ringo
thats what Nissan told me yesterday. So have cancelled taking that patrol to get checked out.
I don't want to be hit with a major service + rebuild.

However going to go see one this afternoon and taking a big trip out of melb tomorrow to see one.
Both have full history. However the one I am looking at today has a leak in the 'diaphragm' ( not sure what that means in regards to gas. It is getting fixed next week apparently.

Tomorrow's one seems better and the seller seems very genuine. We are getting it checked out by Nissan if it drives well. Not sure if I should also be taking it to another service centre as well as nissan?

People keep recommending RACV.. but i have seen the 'check' they do and I couldn't in good conscience buy a car based on just a RWC and RACV check.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
RACV checks are a marketing tool. Don't be fooled into thinking they mean anything. But you're already on to that. Well done.

The diaphram for the LPG convertor will be leaking causing the engine to run crap on LPG. No biggy but they should have done it asap before advertising it.

If you have any links to the one's you're looking at, put them up so we can pick the bits out of it for you. Might as well.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BowTieGQ

When Racv came out to do a check on the ute i sold, it was ridiculous. He quickly checked underneath, took it for a quick road test and said it was a great car. ( which it was ) but People talk about RACV checks like they are the best thing.. and I wouldn't trust it.
Not for such an expensive purchase..

We just got back from seeing one, good car, VERY smooth idle. Dad was super impressed.
Rough interior, but been looked after mechanically. He has re-done the head already and has a full history. Very nice car to drive, and the 1st one i saw was a shambles in comparison.
He is looking for 26.500ono including a service/ clean and a service on the gas.

I will try find the link for the one i am looking at tomorrow.
It is a 2002 4.8 duel fuel again, cooper tyres, tow bar. log books and very good condition apparently. 135,000km for $23.500

we have an appointment with nissan to get it checked out on the spot as its a 3hour + drive from home.

However the thing that is concerning me is the risk in getting a duel fuel in regards to the valves?
every mechanic i speak to says its almost impossible to tell if they are in good condition if the car is running well.
They mentioned a compression test, but said it wouldn't be accurate if the engine ran well.

Have also been told that 4.8's don't like gas and i'm better off with a 4.5, but the way i see it is, any car on gas can have a big repair, and i don't know that i am willing to compromise on the power.

anyone have any other ideas on checking soundness? or anything i can ask to be checked?

cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
For $29 K I bought an immaculate 4.8 L (no gas) 2002 Ti with 112 K km on it.
Never been off road from the look of it. Paid a bit much for an 8 year old 4 x 4, but I got $4 K more than budgeted for on my old 4.5 L petrol.
To buy a low mileage diesel (Tojo or Nissan)in similar condition was gunna cost another $21 K, minimum !

There is no meaningful comparison between the two Niassan vehicles. The 4.8 is light years ahead in every area - brakes, performance, drive-ability. It gets 2 L/100 km less than th 4.5 L did, with all the same gear on it.

I have towed my 1.4 t trailer with both vehicles - one you point & steer, the other you drive every km the hard way. BTW -it is the 4.8 that points & steers! Same fuel consumption on either vehicle with the trailer on, which does not makes sense; but them's the facts.

Cheers

Rick

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey rmoore
There is no way i can go for a diesel, just too much $$$ for a hobby car really.

But i am hoping this 4.8 will be genuine and clean.
I have scrubbed the 4.5 off the list, i just think it would be too much of a backwards step.

its amazing that the fuel consumption on the 4.8 is better, and that towing/driving is the same.
I also don't see myself towing much more then 1500kg in the near future, until i upgrade the float i use. But for future it is great knowing i have such a high capacity!

will let you all know how it goes tomorrow!! I'm really hanging out for a good result.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good luck with the search s.m. I myself just purchased a 4.8 (no gas). The motor has a Haltech computer, extractors and a 3" exhaust system. Took it for a spin and it spun 35's quite easily, the 4.8's seem like a strong motor. Will be interesting to see what kind of mileage i'll get out of the tank

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Bought my 2010 4.8 TI last week. Towed my 3t boat home from Brisbane to Sydney at 110km up hills, so much nicer then the 3L. Just finishing my 1st tank around teh burbs and LOTS lead footing at about 350-400km.

I plan to have this for 10 years and everything i read it is a strong motor. I'm choosing not to go on gas for longivity

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
Rough guestimate of $5k - $6k to rebuild head.

Incidentally, I had injected LPG put on my 02 GUIII ST in June 09 when it had 160k on the clock. Since then Ive done another 65k - freeway Mon to Fri to and from work, country towing Saturday and 4WD-playing Sunday. Its not missed a beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts