Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else done this? I have a length of about 15" ready to mount-up, under the left side chassis rail, just behind the body mount.

Will see if i can snap a pic or 2 of it before and after I mount it.

·
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, thought of that, but the PVC pipe was handy and just the right diameter.....chuck on a couple of ends and a brass barb; jobs right!

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
Sorry, dumb question.... what you want a vacuum tank for? Can't see why it wouldn't work though.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I'd feel safer with a properly made steel tank. However if you use pressure PVC pipe it's possible, PN18 at the very least. Or shedule 80 pressure pipe but at that size it's won't be cheap.

Really need to check that you have pressure rated pipe and make sure you prime and use correct glue preferably the clear glue cause it's neater.

Cheers

Justin

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
may i ask why you need a vacuum tank of this size???
i mean the factory gq one is only about 3" of and mayby at most 4" long and seems to do the job fine?
It depends on how much vacuum you are using. Personally, I prefer extra. I have an old fire extinguisher that I will be using for a vacuum tank.

·
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, dumb question.... what you want a vacuum tank for? Can't see why it wouldn't work though.
My Patrol, like most GUs, had 2 pizzy little black canisters in the back corner (passenger's side) of the engine bay. They were plumbed up via a clumsy system of steel and rubber hoses/pipes that seemed like they were put in there by a drunken Jap on steroids on a Friday afternoon.

When I decided to fit the electric vac pump (see the post I recently put up in the Mods section), I decided I could do without 90% of that pipe-work and the best place for the pump was deemed (by me) to be the spot where the 2 black canisters were mounted.

So the canisters came out and I added a vac gauge to keep an eye on my available vacuum. Each time I use the clutch or brake, the needle drops quite a lot, so I decided to add an extra tank. Haven't fired the old girl up since I did the mod, so I don't know how much of an effect it will have.

I have to run my young bloke up to Port Broughton for a Karate grading on Sunday, so will fire-up the big Chev donk for that trip.

If anybody does decide to ditch the 2 black canisters, just be aware that there is a non-return valve located inside the black, solid rubber hose that joins these 2 black canisters together. I made sure I incorporated that piece of pipe in my new plumbing arrangement.
I removed the steel pipes down low (near where the turbo would be on a normal 4.2Td or 3L TD). If you have a look at the pipe work there, you will see what I mean; bloody pipes and hoses going in all directions.

·
Right Turn Clyde
1,050 Posts
I added a small fire extinguisher into my system, the gq's only have one cannister compared to the gu's like you said. So in effect I've got the equivalant of 3 cannisters now. I rekon I get an extra couple of pumps of the pedal when needed on an incline/decline situation. Have been wanting to go to a larger tank to see if I can get a bit more , so it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts