Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to assemble my stainless snorkel but im unsure how much i should cut as i dont want to waste any of the material or come up short. i know from many previous threads that most of you have one on your trol and was wondering how much you cut for each section? another thing that crossed my mind was the brackets, im not too fond of welding and im probably the worst when i do weld, would drilling a set of rivets/self tappers et. effect the flow?

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
made a modification for the airbox today, the impco airbox has an oval hole so i went to bunnings and bought a few bits of pvc gutter piping and what do you know it fits straight over. (a little gap between the square bits, but easily fixed with our best friend sikaflex!)

now just to get the hose over the pvc, any ideas? ive tried sanding down the pvc and that kinda works but it's still extremily hard to fit over.........

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
im about to assemble my stainless snorkel but im unsure how much i should cut as i dont want to waste any of the material or come up short. i know from many previous threads that most of you have one on your trol and was wondering how much you cut for each section? another thing that crossed my mind was the brackets, im not too fond of welding and im probably the worst when i do weld, would drilling a set of rivets/self tappers et. effect the flow?
I did a 4 inch stainless snorkel for my old TD42 GQ. The lengths were 740mm horizontal and 975mm up the windscreen. Although I suppose the lengths may vary depending on what kind of rubber bends you are using. Mine were purchased from the local BJ Bearings... I can't weld either. I just bought the biggest stainless steel rivets I could fit into my rivet gun and then rivetted 4 T-bolt clamps to the body. It worked well and stood up to plenty of abuse in the bush.
Photo below...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
made a modification for the airbox today, the impco airbox has an oval hole so i went to bunnings and bought a few bits of pvc gutter piping and what do you know it fits straight over. (a little gap between the square bits, but easily fixed with our best friend sikaflex!)

now just to get the hose over the pvc, any ideas? ive tried sanding down the pvc and that kinda works but it's still extremily hard to fit over.........
To be honest I'm not a fan of PVC fittings in the engine bay. I have found it shrinks when you clamp it hard and the hose ends up not sealing. It will also end up brittle. Perhaps you can make up an oval connection to the airbox that will accept 4 inch hose. You can then just use some flexiduct straight from your airbox to your stainless snorkle.

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was originally looking to get a millweld box, but im short for cash at the moment, so im just doing my best with what i have. managed to get the hose on, so next step is getting the holesaw out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Have a practice run with stormwater pvc. it's only 90mm so its a bit small in diameter but you can wedge it into the rubber bends centrally with a few strips of wood.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
That looks mad as man where did u get the pipe and the elbows and how much did it cost all up??? I wanna do this asap

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good but I think it may be a little tall :/
Yeah I still have to cut the vert pipe but overall it's good. As for the pipes bends and tubing, geordi stainless for the pipes, pirtek for the bends and purple pig for the duct tube. Been following the mudrhino guide all this info can be found on google.

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well I finished the snorkel today, got the top bit mounted at work. The clamps work very well, my boss was really impressed. (makes his brackets look like crap)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Do the safari snorkels really restrict that much that you need a 4'' one ????
It's not an air restriction issue, more a compensation issue ;)

Agree with what the guys said on the PVC, it'll soon become brittle in the under bonnet temps.

·
Registered
nissan
72 Posts
I took stainless from work for free and mine ended up costing me $150 and btw awesome job mate but on mine I've noticed it's restricted a bit of airflow cause the snorkel head is facing backwards

·
Registered
Nissan Gq leaf Cab
45 Posts
2m Stainless 4" pipe - $80
Ebay 45 deg bends - $15
Ebay 90 bends - $30
Ebay 4-3.25" reducer (fits over td42 airbox) - $15
Ebay flexi ducting - $30
T bolt clamps - $5

Mine cost about $180 and took a few hours all up and looks, sounds and performs better than any $600 plastic crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts