Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Will be doing a L28 4spd to 5spd gearbox swap soon, do I need to change diffs too?

thanks

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Pretty much all L28s - 4 speed, 5 speed and auto used 4.625 diffs here in Australia, so you do not need to change them.
Transmission mounts on the chassis will need to be moved, or adapter plates made, speedo drive cable might need to changed - can't remember, wiring to the reverse and 4wd light switches may also need to be extended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate - hadnt realised about the trans mounts. Bellhousing swap over okay - guessing its a straight bolt on, bolt off. What about clutch?

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
As far as I am aware there is no difference in the clutch or bellhousing. Between 4 and 5 speeds from an L28. The bellhousings do have different part numbers, but the input shafts are the same length, and the bolt pattern on the transmission case didn't change between 4 and 5 speed, so I suspect they'll be compatible.
Bellhousing is easy to pull off, 6 bolts hold it to to the transmission case and the pivot ball does not need to be removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I am aware there is no difference in the clutch or bellhousing. Between 4 and 5 speeds from an L28. The bellhousings do have different part numbers, but the input shafts are the same length, and the bolt pattern on the transmission case didn't change between 4 and 5 speed, so I suspect they'll be compatible.
Bellhousing is easy to pull off, 6 bolts hold it to to the transmission case and the pivot ball does not need to be removed.
Cheers mate - that's helped a lot.

Another question, with the suspension - I want to go Bilstein B6, but have EFS at the moment with a 2 inch lift. Will the bilsteins still travel okay and not bottom out? Trying to find a set of Bilstein's 5100's but heard they're a bit stiffer.

Cheers

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
A simple way to measure shock length is to take them out, drive up an incline until the springs are at maximum articulation (i.e. one side on bump stop, one side at full droop) and measure between the mounts to get minimum open and closed lengths, an extra little bit of travel both compressed and extended is ideal so the shock is not at risk of bottoming out in either direction.

I don't personally have experience with Bilstein or EFS, and it's difficult to say whether they will bottom out or not given different spring lengths/heights/rates/articulation etc.

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
842 Posts
1st visit on months... sorry for the late reply. The 5 speed gearbox is identical except for the 5th gear "added" to the back output shaft area which makes the gearbox longer than the standard 4 speed. Everything fits exactly the same, except the short tail shaft between the 5 speed gearbox and transfer case is now too long. Put everything in, except this tail shaft, measure by how much is needs to be shortened and take it to your favorite shop to get it shortened.
From memory there are 2 types of the 5 speed gearbox. 1st one is where gears 1 to 4 is identical to the original 4 speed and 2nd is where 1st gear is of a much lower ratio. The 2nd type where typically used in Cabstar trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts