1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some ideas on where to look next.
The problem
When driving my 4.5 patrol, it is missing under load. It does not do it all the time, but it is pretty regular.
Initially I thought it was a blocked fuel filter, or a dirty spark plug.
So far I have replaced the fuel filter. I have removed, inspected and polished all the spark plugs. I have checked the dizzy cap and rotor, both of which showed some signs of wear. I gave the terminals on the cap a light brush. I checked the intake for any leaks, and had a good look at the air flow meter, and all looked good.
After doing the filter and plugs, there was no difference. After the cap rotor and intake checks, the issue is a little less than it was, but still very noticeable.
The car has 260000 k's on it and is a manual. It is a daily drive, and does not get worked very hard.
Any ideas m where to look next would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,789 Posts
Open the manual and look up throtle relearn program. Make sure you follow the it step by step and you need a stop watch. It may solve your problem as long as your timing is set correctly and everthing else has been checked according to the pre start steps.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Missing under load is more than likely a sign of faulty plugs or leads, I usually dont mess around with plugs, they can be a bit of a mission to get out of the 4.5 so I just replace them regardless of how they look and while at it I would definitely replace the leads.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New plugs and leads all done in about 45 mins. Has cleared the problem up all together. Thanx for the help. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
mine had exact same problem
i got it dyno'ed. firstly it was punching out a massive 43 kws at the wheels!! oh yeah! in 20 mins he found out exactly what was wrong.
it was the fuel pump. he replaced it and re dyno'ed. got it up to 89kws! double the power!
cost me $520. included dyno runs, new fuel pump and labour
pretty happy as i drove out coz it felt like it ran like a ferrari!

go get yours dyno'ed. might be something different but they'll find it in 20 mins

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i got it dyno'ed. firstly it was punching out a massive 43 kws at the wheels!! oh yeah! in 20 mins he found out exactly what was wrong.
it was the fuel pump. he replaced it and re dyno'ed. got it up to 89kws! double the power!

go get yours dyno'ed. might be something different but they'll find it in 20 mins

Out of interest, how many kms does yours have on it? Mine has 260000 and I was thinking the pump cant last forever. How do you know?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just been checking out your winch mount thread as I'm about to do mine.

Great set of pics you posted!
No worries. When I did mine, I did a lot of research but could not find any real specifics. I created the thread for anyone else that wanted more info.
Todd luck with yours. Post up pics with yours.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Juzz, definatey have plans to stick it on a dyno to get it all checked out. Also looking into getting the injectors cleaned and serviced.
Glad to hear you got a good result. Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys, I’ve got this issue now and pretty constant when cold - splutters on initial load but once revving is fine.
when warm it’s better. Same on both gas and petrol, so pretty sure it’s ignition.
Now, I’ve replaced leads, plugs, cap and button 4-5 months ago so id like to think they’re ok. I’ve checked the leads are plugged firmly at the distributor but can get to all the plugs easily to check them. just curious if there is something else obvious I’m missing before I go to the full hassle again ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts