1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
THE BAD NEWS:
Many years back the insurance discussion popped up and it was an eye opener for me and many others. From that post I did some homework and ended up insuring with TCIS which was the advice from many forum members in here and other forums. Sadly though, I should inform those who have stuck with TCIS ( now taken over by another mob) that their prices have gone through the roof.
My renewal came through last week and i noticed my excess jumped by $400.00.
Called them and asked for an explanation but they just said things go up.
THE GOOD NEWS:
called Shannons and to my amazement they gave me a really good deal, infact its the best deal I have had.....
My new agreed value has gone up by 3 grand
excess went DOWN to $550.00 from $1000.00
cost of the policy pretty much stayed where it was with TCIS at $696.00

I just wanted to share that for those who think the policy they have is the best going around. Do your homework and save yourselves money.
P.S. Last time I called Shannons years ago they would not have anything to do with modified 4wd's. Full cover Australia wide anywhere at all as long as its a track marked on a map AND I am allowed to be there which sounds fair to me.
Just wanted to share this guys.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Insurance companies always tries it on. If you said to TCIS you are leaving they would have left the excess where it originally was

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
TCIS got bought by OAMPS, I now use Enthusiast Insurance directly; they are very reasonably priced especially for recreational use <8,000km/year

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
TCIS only used to modify Allianz policies. I believe if you try hard enough, you too can bargin with Allianz.

I never found TCIS providing more than Allianz anyway, so not sure what they were modifying or providing additional (maybe accessory limits).

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
TCIS as a broker would use whichever underwriter was most appropriate - in my case they used Enthusiast.

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TCIS got bought by OAMPS, I now use Enthusiast Insurance directly; they are very reasonably priced especially for recreational use <8,000km/year
Yep Same as me, every year id get a form to fill in with Kms travelled to make sure I was under the 8,000. Shannons dont care how many u do thats a huge plus.
Yes I thought they had a great price too until I rang around and found i just saved myself a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCIS only used to modify Allianz policies. I believe if you try hard enough, you too can bargin with Allianz.

I never found TCIS providing more than Allianz anyway, so not sure what they were modifying or providing additional (maybe accessory limits).
They told me about allianz as I use them for home and contents. Infact allianz are great as i do photography and when i go away i get extra cover for my gear @15 grand cover for a small price of 14 bucks for a 16 day cover....cheap insurance.
Love it!!

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Yep Same as me, every year id get a form to fill in with Kms travelled to make sure I was under the 8,000. Shannons dont care how many u do thats a huge plus.
Yes I thought they had a great price too until I rang around and found i just saved myself a few hundred bucks
I just came from Shannons to Enthusiast and almost halved my premium for the same agreed value. Shannons couldn't be competitive. What works for some obviously doesn't work for others!

·
Registered
Nissan
532 Posts
I just came from Shannons to Enthusiast and almost halved my premium for the same agreed value. Shannons couldn't be competitive. What works for some obviously doesn't work for others!
Yep took me 5 yrs of calling Shannon's for quotes before they actually gave me a competitive quote.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Shannons are gay they won't even insure me even if I ask and don't care how much it costs.

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
Had no problems with Shannon's they will insure my ute when it's repaired and registered wil be modified and have to stay on written off vehicle register all they wanted was that the car be roadworthy to be insured and that you are an enthusiast , which we all are if you tell them correctly will insure my patrol ,Leones Pajero for less than nrma will insure patrol and value is $10000 more shanons and Nrma have been the only insurance companies that will insure vehicles on the written of vehicle register all I need is for the RMS to say yes and its all good
Oscar :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Im with SGIO as my home and car are covered by them, my GQ TD42 patrol is covered for 5.5k agreed value, that includes full comp, fire theft and the rest of it.Modifications covered aswell and unlimited windows. i pay roughly 60 dollars a month.
My excess is 1000 and anyone over the age of 25 can drive it and still be insured

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
What do Shannon's provide that normal insurers won't?

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
In my case insurance at half the price of the other insurance company with no restrictions on use .

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
My only restriction on use with Allianz is I'm not covered in a competition. Otherwise covered in backyards, up bush, any where I'm legally allowed to be.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
With Allianz, you're not covered for anything involved with motor sport, not just the competing side. Course setup, road blocks, fast or slow sweep. All not covered. Be aware that lots of the main insurers run the same hard line as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Can i just butt in..
im currently with aami and $80 a month gets me 21k cover.
Thats the maximum they said they can insure my car for.

Is there a realistic mob out there that will cover me for what i want?
I paid 25k for the car and have added at least 5k in the locker suspension and canopy etc.
Plus i want my fridge to be covered as well as expensive camping gear that lives in there full time.

Is there such a beast out there that will cover me for 30k agreed and cover its contents?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
It depends on the vehicle. If you bought a new vehicle, guaranteed they would insure it for the rrp, + at least $15g extra.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts