Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just bought a GU patrol and took it out for a strap last night and i noticed that when i put it back it 2wd the 4wd light on the dash would stay on and it went off as i drove off, at one point it stayed in 4wd and would not go back to 2wd, has anyone had this problem before

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
If you reverse a meter or so then forward again it goes off faster, or if you dont it will stay on but go out after a while

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Do not drive on road surface in 4wd whether hubs are loked or in auto. You can change from 4 high to 2wd with no clutch while still moving. If in low stop. Can take a couple of mtrs for light to go out. But yes can help in reverse. On dirt tracks I would change to 4 around 50 klms and can change back withou stopping when get to. A hard surface

Sorry forgot to ask auto or manual transmission. Auto might be different

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
100 Posts
hey i just bought a GU patrol and took it out for a strap last night and i noticed that when i put it back it 2wd the 4wd light on the dash would stay on and it went off as i drove off, at one point it stayed in 4wd and would not go back to 2wd, has anyone had this problem before
had the same problem with the (light) staying on - just a sticky switch in the transfer - replaced switch and light goes out as soon as 2h is selected.

cheers dassloth.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and just registered to post an answer to this problem.
I had the same 4wd to 2wd light problem and in my case it was a 2minute fix.
Normally the light stays on if there is a short circuit somewhere in line from the 4wd switch on the gear box.
In my case the two probes where wires connected to the 4wd switch were touching each other.
Since you have overhauled the gear box this is possible because you could have accidentally knocked the rubber cover over the switch and that can bend the probs and make a short circuit.
Just pull the rubber cover out and check if this has happened.
If not start from the switch run along the wires and connections to inspect for any connection issues.
Good luck!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,555 Posts
Yep! Good luck to the OP.

If he hasn't fixed it in the seven years since this thread was active he can now :)

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,066 Posts
Hi, I'm new here ..
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for trying to help out another forum member but that thread is 7 years old and the OP has not been here in the last 6 years. It might be useful to someone else though.

Edit: beaten by Leethal

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,555 Posts
Niv2.8 why don't you pop over to the new member's thread and introduce yourself, maybe post a pic or two of your car :D

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Yep! Good luck to the OP.

If he hasn't fixed it in the seven years since this thread was active he can now :)
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for trying to help out another forum member but that thread is 7 years old and the OP has not been here in the last 6 years. It might be useful to someone else though.

Edit: beaten by Leethal
Bullies.:p:p

Franky.:p

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,129 Posts
i looked at the service manual, the switch is located on the left side of the transfer case. is there any alignment for this switch? I am going to take it out and have a check. somehow, back to Sydney, each time i shift from 4wd HI to 2wd, the led turned off straight away. but when i am at the snowing mountains ( may be at 2 degrees or below), the led wont turn off after shifting from 4wd to 2wd. I was wondering if something to do with the oil temperature inside the transfer case? I mean if it is too cold, then the oil is very thick, so the shift may not be smooth - or take longer time to disengage from 4wd to 2wd? but everytime from 2wd to 4wd, the led indicator lit up immediately regardless how cold it is..

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,185 Posts
I had a light that would not behave some years ago. My fix was to remove it and put a copper washer underneath it. This changed the activation point enough to sort the issue.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,129 Posts
Thickness of the washer? Where did you put it?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,185 Posts
It was a copper sump plug washer off something or other. I have a few spares. So it would have been a couple of mm thick like most of them are. I removed the sensor and placed it over the thread before re-installing. The sensor is mechanical, so the washer makes it sit further out from the casing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts