Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A few questions about the "4wd Systems - Factory LSD" (thats what the email quoted) i have been quoted $350.

1. Has anyone installed one into an open rear Patrol/Safari diff Before?
  2. Do they give a good result.
  3. Any better options within a similar price range (i.e second hand diff $$???) [Please dont suggest air-lockers as i am in the first year of a mortgage and can merely dream of such objects]
  4. Any traps to watch out for (Different ratio's etc.)
Any ideas and opinions greatly appreciated.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I found a Disc to Disc LSD setup from a 92 Patrol. Suitable to my 88 Safari ??? anyone know about OP???

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
they are interchangable i have a safari diff under mine

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Also i would think about looking around for a disc to disc diff with factory locker, can be had for about $500 and then sell your diff for $200 (presuming your lsd is the only wrong with it?) $300 for a locked rear that is alot better than an auto locker and more reliable than the majority of air lockers that i have seen. I know alot of people go on about air lockers and other set ups but i twin locked mine for $700 and it would drive where other twin locked cars would-funny that.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Update: I found a Disc to Disc LSD setup from a 92 Patrol. Suitable to my 88 Safari ??? anyone know about OP???
Provided you have the same ratios it should be fine, remember every engine and gear box combo seems to have a different ratio so make sure you get the right one.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Provided you have the same ratios it should be fine, remember every engine and gear box combo seems to have a different ratio so make sure you get the right one.
Wouldn't it only drive different if you end up getting a different Diff ratio?.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
If you did both diffs, from what I understand and different ratio in your front and rear diffs is a quick way to kill a transfer.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
You cant run different diff ratio's when in 4wd. 2wd is ok.

I would buy an auto lokka before an LSD.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You cant run different diff ratio's when in 4wd. 2wd is ok.

I would buy an auto lokka before an LSD.

What sort of auto locker ??? unfortunately the Lokka brand doesn't do GQ/U rear units. what other good sorts are there? (bar detroits coz there are like $1k)

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
I wouldn't put a Lokka in the back end of anything. My dad had lockright in the back of a cruiser and it was horrible on road, would chirp tyres around round abouts, and was terrible for towing. If you're just doing the rear I'd just go for an LSD, if you're doing both, then lokka up front, lsd in the back.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
I wouldn't put a Lokka in the back end of anything. My dad had lockright in the back of a cruiser and it was horrible on road, would chirp tyres around round abouts, and was terrible for towing. If you're just doing the rear I'd just go for an LSD, if you're doing both, then lokka up front, lsd in the back.

I'm against auto lockers for that reason. it would be dangerous to have it engage itself compared to an air locker.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
To change an open diff to an lsd, do you need the whole diff? Or can you just change the internals? Keeping your original crown wheel, pinion etc

Sorry obviously I don't know a great deal about the internals of diffs. But I see hemispheres for sale from people who have swapped them for lockers. Just want to be sure before I purchase.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
To change an open diff to an lsd, do you need the whole diff? Or can you just change the internals? Keeping your original crown wheel, pinion etc

Sorry obviously I don't know a great deal about the internals of diffs. But I see hemispheres for sale from people who have swapped them for lockers. Just want to be sure before I purchase.
Anyone?

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Keep your crownwheel and pinion and can just change the centre over. Generally it is abit of a stuff around getting it all set back to factory specs it is just easier to change entire diffs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts