Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/25877456/drivers-use-app-to-get-rescued/

Maybe I am being a bit synical, maybe I'm not. What are your thoughts on how well prepared this guy was and how enthusiastic about 4WDing he is? I'm all for people getting a 4WD and going bush, its why we all own one, but I think he could have done with some training. I have driven that track a few years ago and did not really think much of it, looks like the triton is on road tyres and as highway pressures.

Would you have called that treacherous?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
That will be an interesting discussion with the hire company.

But really. I love the Grampians, and have been through most of it. And in a brand new tarago at that. There are some roads I wouldn't hit after rain, and another that is ok to go down, but not up in a front wheel drive.

For those more familiar than I, how much actual 4wding is there in the Grampians?

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Ummmmmmmm that can hardly be called treacherous.

I don't think the camera is making look much less steep that it really is.

Seems just maybe they didn't know what they were doing.

Cheers

Justin

·
I'm not really a Newbie
nissan
3,909 Posts
Was that actually where they were stuck? I thought it was a reenactment.

Because that doesnt look too bad really

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
4wd 'enthusiast' my arse!!! Bollocks!

I've been in more 'precarious spots' driving to work in my Rex!!!

To 'recover' the vehicle... Correct me if I'm wrong, but some ****head just needs to let the tyres down, jump in and a) reverse it to where you can turn around, or b) drive to the other end. Preferably with 4wd engaged.

It's idiots like that who give us all a bad name and cause tracks to be closed, to protect us from ourselves... Heaven forbid the national parks mob get sued if something happens.

Anyway... Anywhere with phone range isn't worth being. Pfft.

There's a clown in every circus.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
A treacherous track!? WTF?

I've seen an X-Trail on a much worse track than that (The staircase in the High Country)

Gotta wonder if he saw that funny looking little stick or switch next to the gearstick. What a muppet.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
Ohhhhhhh and fkn Channel 7's fkn over dramatic bullshyte reporting.... FFS.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,048 Posts
Let's be fair, he knew his capabilities, better to be a live goose than a dead duck.

Reactions: Schrinky

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a little over dramatized. All I could do was laugh when they said "4WD Enthusiast" and the "hire car".

While suing people, does it them fall back on the insurance company for not providing training, or should they just sue parks for not having a gate closed?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Slow news day.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,662 Posts
I fail to see where they were in danger or where they were stuck for that matter.
Funny thing is that if they would have gone to aussie 4wd rescue on fb they would already be back at home by now.
I wonder if they even had the hubs locked in.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Can you say "Mitsubishi", without saying "Mmmmmm"

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
That's weird. :confused: I just opened the link in the OPs original post and came up no problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts