Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i recently bought a ford mav with a tb42 on gas. how do you guys go 4wding in rivers and ****, no dramas or avoid water????

·
Registered
76 Posts
i got a tb42 maverick swb i had no problems with water or hill climbs yet

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
silicone is your friend, so is a snorkel, and a glove over your dizzy, other than that you should be sweet!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Haven't been in any deep water above axle deep yet , with a bit of preperation shouldn't be a major issue but i do try to avoid it if possible , everything else offroad however is excellent you shouldn't have any problems

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Mate, no snorkel never touched any thing in the engine bay... Driven in water covering my 33's not a single missfire no problems

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
ive got a later 4.2 efi ith snorkel and did 24 river crossings in 8 km's the other week some over the bonnet didnt miss once

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Make sure you diff breathers are attached and up high/extended for the water crossings as well.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
WD40 is also your friend, spray the whole ignition system before water and you'll be right 9 out of 10 times. The other time.... well just learn how to unbolt your dizzy and dry it out, or put some compressed air in there.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
My mate and i went 4wd on stradbroke island after a bit of rain on sunday. His TB42 went really well through bonnet deep water on the keyholes track. Just watch the backfiring if u are really pusing the engine. He blew his entire muffler apart down the seam in a gian backfire attempting a deep sand hill climb. :rofl: sounds like a massey ferguson now

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, much needed help. i did have a td42, but may have rolled it.... so now i am stuck with a tb42.... im going away to walhalla next week. see how i go.

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
No issues with the crossing water as below, except for when i checked the front diff oil on the weekend and it looked like chocolate milk.... BRC diff breather kit already here awaiting a quiet afternoon.

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
mate in his GU thought it would be smart to try too ( after watching me wade through)at 100 miles an hour.... no snorkel either. After dragging it out we pulled the plugs out and watched the water squirt out as we cranked it over. Lucky boy she was fine once the AFM dried out. I wont put any pics up for his sake though lol

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
No issues with the crossing water as below, except for when i checked the front diff oil on the weekend and it looked like chocolate milk.... BRC diff breather kit already here awaiting a quiet afternoon.

this should answer all your questons!!!
everything is high up on the tb42, alternator, dizzie, ... and best of all...they have the most torque!! of all the GQ's! :punkrock:
but!... anything this deep i'd use a bra!! just for some x-tra security.

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
hey 2lucid! you don wanna sell your blue/silver trol do you?.....
rolled mine 2 weeks ago... as you'd prob. know (if you do a search)

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
offroadjack, i rolled my td42 about a month or so ago, i feel for ya mate. i now got a tb42, just hope i can do all the same stuff as i could in my diesel....

·
Registered
nissan
707 Posts
So they are not like the RB30 EFI's? I've had mine in water deeper than the pic above but it usually ruins my day coz it coughs and splutter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts