Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu iii
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. What's a good gps with the 4x4 tracks and roads? I got a nav man witch is pissing me off.. What is a good one to get?
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Strewth man, there are heaps of options for that so expect a lot of replies and hard choices.

You don't mention the vehicle but I have a GU with Factory SatNav so I replaced my POS Nissan double din radio with a GPS/Blutooth/MP3/DVD etc etc Head Unit for under $400 (heaps of threads on here) http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/auto-electrical-37/anybody-got-one-these-gps-units-57677/

That lets me run VDO & IGo8 or VDO & OziExplorer which covers just about any map you can name as all the Hema & Geoscience Australia Maps are available already formatted for OziExplorer if you can't do it yourself.

If you want an "external" device I recommend just about any of the 7 inch jobs on Ebay as they will run whatever PND software (IG08, Route 66, Tomtom etc) plus OziExplorer and also do Blutooth or whatever. The 7 inch display is heaps better than the 4 1/2 or 5 inch jobs. Again, there are threads on here or have a browse on Ebay

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Haqs any one here got a magellan for off roads?

What they like?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu y61
16 Posts
Interestingly enough I just bought a Magellan Crossover on sale what a let down. Topos were garbage, the soft ware should be a joke that basic looks like a 5 year old put it together on the weekend. Is not compatible with any CD maps and near impossible to use.

Took it back to the store first thing the following morning and they kindly agreed to let me upgrade to the HEMA Navigator 5, just been playing around with it tonight and can only say that is more like it. Very workable, easy to use and great computer interface.

The way Magellan represents itself, I am sure that should boarder on false advertising. I am thankful the store was so understanding, although a little concerned they sold 5 of those units during the sale.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Haqs any one here got a magellan for off roads?

What they like?
Got a Magellan XLS Handheld as my primary GPS when nav'ing on foot either recreationally or with the SES.

It's really hard to 'recommend' one GPS from another because it can be so subjective depending on whether you are also a walker, geocacher, tourer or want a 'crossover' that will do that plus act as a PND for road nav.

IMHO for vehicle and shanks pony use then the Magellan or Garmin Units are equally as good. It just comes down to how long ago the last map udates were released.

If it is only for vehicle use then they are pretty average in map currency and value for money and the biggee is as Porky says so much of the software stuff is proprietary.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ozy explorer with proper digital topographic maps loaded onto a netbook connected to a GPS mouse via bluetooth...easy!

I have it in the back of my mind to buy one of those double din GPS car stereos as I understand ozy can be loaded as can the topographic maps...just a little wary of the cost and quality.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Im just setting up my work vehilces with a 8inch display car computer, with great hardware mounting brackets. We will be running ozi - with special maps that we generate (radio coverage). Also running a radio directional finder system plus signal strength progam.

This is the unit iKarPC-W08A - Vehicle Computer Series

1 - 10 of 10 Posts