Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help
Battery keeps going flat and just found that there is 5 amps on the positive lead from the battery to the starter motor when the keys are in off position. Is the starter motor cactus or can it be fixed by overhauling starter motor. Is there something else I can look at

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
nissan patrol
607 Posts
Thats interesting. The lead that goes to the starter motor goes to the solenoid onto of the starter motor first. this is the "switch" for the starter motor. its a smaller round cylinder on top of the starter motor. try tapping it with something solid and see if that stops the leaking current. make sure the cars in neutral tho as I have seen on that kicked over the car when this was done. I dont know if you can buy just the solenoid on its own though if it needs replacing

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Agree with Reub.. Start at the solenoid. You can pull it off the starter and bench test it. You can't buy genuine hitachi replacements but aftermarkets are available.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Pull the lead off the starter and see if there are still 5 amops flowing - is the lead hot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts