Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all been doin alot of reserch latley on gettin my 5 inch lift right so this is the run down gu wagon running 35s tjm 5 inch lift with castor corection bushes and front n rear sway bar taken out. The car drives fine on flat strait road corners with roll and steering is a handfull over bumps (this is how i have bought the car)

so thinking i might start with drop boxes because the radius arms are no where near strait and thinkin this will fix steering also was goin to put a rear sway bar in have read the rear does more than the front

so whats ur thoughts do i do that or both sway bars i was also goin to get rear control arm 16 mm longer will this help any

been researching this for 3 months now :headwall: and any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
nissan
674 Posts
I have a similar setup in my ute. I would recommend drop boxes.. Was a huge difference (for the better) after I fitted mine. Definitely run a sway bar in the rear. I have my front one removed.. The roll is bearable. Shocks will play a big part in the handling at that much lift too.. Mine are a little soft.. great for offroad... not as good on road.. Am in the process of saving the cash for a set of bilsteins or similar..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
40 Posts
lve got a 6inch lift in mine with no sway bars & drives very well its fitted with the caster plates not drop boxes & the bushers are standard,been driving it every day for work & love it

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Worst : Castor Bushes
Second worst : Plates
Third worst : drop arms
Best (For handling and suspension geometry) : Drop Boxes

·
Registered
325 Posts
Worst : Castor Bushes
Second worst : Plates
Third worst : drop arms
Best (For handling and suspension geometry) : Drop Boxes
+1 to this.. I've run my 5" lift with:
no castor correction = wasn't much fun
castor plates = not much better
And now super flex arms = fantastic!!

I had the option of drop boxes of flex arms.. Only reason I went the arms was that my factory radius arm bushes needed replacing anyway and with a quote of $500 to do bushes plus the price of drop boxes $400 the idea of the arms was more appealing to me for only a couple hundred more!

You will also need to replace your offset bushes with factory ones if you buy dropboxes.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Thats were we all compromise :D, I run superior superflex arms on mine also :D, but if you were chasing factory steering and suspension geometry you need to go drop boxes.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,270 Posts
Thats were we all compromise :D, I run superior superflex arms on mine also :D, but if you were chasing factory steering and suspension geometry you need to go drop boxes.
Drop boxes do not lift the panhard and drag link back to factory angles and ensure they are properly parallel though.

This would cause bump steer dramas on large lifts!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Indeed this is 100% true yom. But that topic wasn't raised. Bump steer on a patrol front is almost a fact of life for 90% of our lifts :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Another +1 here for drop boxes.
Got a 4-5 lifted GU had castor correction plates when i first got and had the death wobbles.
Got some drop boxes made and all sweet now.

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
Compact drop boxes are the way to go.
15mm longer lower rear arms & extended rear sway bar links.
You can run a front sway bar with drop boxes on the road only but for offroad you must remove the sway bar as it hangs tooo low
Cheer

·
lawless
nissan
578 Posts
your front arms are like a wheelbarrow the higher you lift it the harder it is to control the flater the arms are the better it will handle

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
whats this garbage about drop boxes being better than proper radius ams??

all a drop box does is lower the mount point for your radius arm. . . (negatively affecting clearance) if you buy proper arms. . . they come already longer than standard, they are stronger, and they fix your steering geometry exactly the same as a drop box. if money is not an issue(hasnt been mentioned) radius arms are way better than boxes.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
No they arn't jacket. The ONLY negative thing about boxes is the clearance issues. Other than that they crap all over bent arms to fix castor.

·
Registered
nissan gq
96 Posts
I wouldnt even say drop boxes have issues with clearance either, they sit almost directly behind the front tyre.

I have mates with dropboxes and not once have they ever got hung up on them, they get caught on the diff pumpkin before drop boxes ever become an issue

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Because the best setup for a radius arm is as straight as practicably possible. Take a Superior drop arm or snake or 3rd's etc. It is not a straight line of force driving through to the mushroom bush on the chassis more rather a straight piece then a dropped section bent around to the radius arm bushes.

This will never provide 100% suspension geometry. The only way to get this (on a patrol) is through the use of drop boxes unfortunately. I did not say the dropped radius arms were crap, but, merely a compromise of castor correction and flex.

Especially when you start getting into the superflex type arms.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
whats this garbage about drop boxes being better than proper radius ams??

all a drop box does is lower the mount point for your radius arm. . . (negatively affecting clearance) if you buy proper arms. . . they come already longer than standard, they are stronger, and they fix your steering geometry exactly the same as a drop box. if money is not an issue(hasnt been mentioned) radius arms are way better than boxes.

Btw radius arms DO NOT fix steering geometry. When you lift a troll from standard your steering geometry cannot be bought back via a dropped arm. For steering to be right you need to address panhard angles, and steering rod angles etc....

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
mine come out of the radius arm mounts dead straight. . . iv got snakeracing. . . they are perfect from what iv seen. . . no uneven wear on bushes at all. . . ill post a photo. . . .

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
mine come out of the radius arm mounts dead straight. . . iv got snakeracing. . . they are perfect from what iv seen. . . no uneven wear on bushes at all. . . ill post a photo. . . .

The point im trying to make is the force applied to the radius arm bushes on a dropped arm is not LINEAR in relation to the mushroom bush on you chassis. So the force transmitted from the from bushes does not flow parralel to the mushroom bush. Its transferred on an angle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts