Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Just thinking today whilst sitting in 40km of traffic. About how much my left leg would like an auto.
Wondering if anybody has put the 5 speed tiptronic into a td either making it work or using wholesale automatics bits and pieces to make it work. What it costs and how does it drive?
Just thinking out loud at the moment. But turbo diesel autos seem to be pretty decent.

·
Registered
nissan
159 Posts
It could be done. Pretty sure one is floating around already. Might be on another forum though.
Wholesale autos do a stand alone ecu for the RE5 . Its about $2500 from memory. Add a nomad valve body for about $600 which would be a definite worthwhile upgrade if your going to the trouble. Second hand boxes i have seen from $1000 up to a few grand. Just to give you a ballpark figure
As for the Bellhousing im not sure if it bolts up direct or not. Wholesales or Marks adapters would know though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
4,801 Posts
Nomad valve body for the RE4 is around $1300 so I’m surprised if ts only $600 for the RE5.

I thought the turbo powered 4.8 guys were changing to the RE4 because it was tougher than the 5 speed.
I certainly don’t feel I need a 5 speed in mine.

·
Registered
nissan
159 Posts
Nomad valve body for the RE4 is around $1300 so I’m surprised if ts only $600 for the RE5.

I thought the turbo powered 4.8 guys were changing to the RE4 because it was tougher than the 5 speed.
I certainly don’t feel I need a 5 speed in mine.
Sorry about the misquote in price just double checked $1195 for the RE5
There are still a few 5 sp auto Turbo TB48s around. Some have gone with a 4 speed though. Wether thats just to get round the throttle body issue so you can run a haltech or a strength issue im not too sure.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,867 Posts
The RE5 has a nicer ratio set for the 3 first gears 4th being 1:1 std with a 5th over drive. This in theory allows for better separation and less work for the torque converter to do between changes, which should allow for nicer changes even better for a manualized system with with full pressure. For a TD the gear set ratio should allow for or allow adjustment to have the changes set better for our torque transition and instant spool when turboed.

As for strength well thats a little harder to predict but its usual for diesel to have more ratios to reduce torque loading from the converter into the gear sets changes. 5th will always be an issue with all gear boxes the auto is no different due to the high torque loads the diesel can produce at low rpm's compared to petrol variant. but its usual for a auto to set the 5 th 4 th/ a lot earlier or quicker to reduce the low speed torque effect of a diesel in down shifts..

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
731 Posts
Was thinking something similar the other day but what about the GM 6L90E?

Possibly a lot of work getting adapters and such so may not be an option but that box can run big power and torque numbers straight up.

·
Registered
nissan
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was thinking something similar the other day but what about the GM 6L90E?

Possibly a lot of work getting adapters and such so may not be an option but that box can run big power and torque numbers straight up.
i was speaking to wholesale autos at the brissie 4wd show. they managed to get the 6l90e to work behind the v8 cruisers but it took a lot of mucking around as the load and power doesnt work the trans hard enough and it never warmed up. cant remember how they got around it but they figured it out somehow.
i even thought 6l80 but i dont have the time nor cash to be a pioneer here. 6 speed would be good though.

·
Registered
nissan
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RE5 has a nicer ratio set for the 3 first gears 4th being 1:1 std with a 5th over drive. This in theory allows for better separation and less work for the torque converter to do between changes, which should allow for nicer changes even better for a manualized system with with full pressure. For a TD the gear set ratio should allow for or allow adjustment to have the changes set better for our torque transition and instant spool when turboed.

As for strength well thats a little harder to predict but its usual for diesel to have more ratios to reduce torque loading from the converter into the gear sets changes. 5th will always be an issue with all gear boxes the auto is no different due to the high torque loads the diesel can produce at low rpm's compared to petrol variant. but its usual for a auto to set the 5 th 4 th/ a lot earlier or quicker to reduce the low speed torque effect of a diesel in down shifts..
the auto should kick down out of 5th a bit easier than we lazy manual drivers do. so 5th loading shouldnt be as bigger issue. but its worth considering.
a valve body would be a must for it.

·
Registered
nissan
159 Posts
The one box i did have some interest in swapping my RE5 out for was a ZF 6 speed. Still the nicest auto box I have used and can be built to handle a fair bit of grunt. But hey im dreaming again......

·
Registered
nissan gq
350 Posts
The one box i did have some interest in swapping my RE5 out for was a ZF 6 speed. Still the nicest auto box I have used and can be built to handle a fair bit of grunt. But hey im dreaming again......

Or maybe an 8 speed ZF from an amarock, now that's dreaming I think.

jim

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
funny the timing of this thread.
im thinking of buying a re4 for 200 from a 240k old zd which works fine. yes i know there is a tonne of other gear to get and prob a diff swap as well to 4.3 but i to am getting darn lazy..

·
Registered
nissan
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im thinking of buying a re4 for 200 from a 240k old zd which works fine. yes i know there is a tonne of other gear to get and prob a diff swap as well to 4.3 but i to am getting darn lazy..
group buy on parts.......

·
Registered
nissan
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

this would be cool. and yes arguably the best 6 speed going around i reckon.

·
Registered
nissan
4,801 Posts
Just FYI, I run 3.9 with the auto..

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
828 Posts
My uncle has a re5 behind a fairly warm td42. Used mostly wholesales gear but done by someone else. I've never driven it but he loves it and his a fussy bugger with his cars and wouldn't hold back in bagging it out if he wasn't happy

·
Registered
nissan
4,801 Posts
My uncle has a re5 behind a fairly warm td42. Used mostly wholesales gear but done by someone else. I've never driven it but he loves it and his a fussy bugger with his cars and wouldn't hold back in bagging it out if he wasn't happy
Is that one of the $20k RE5 conversions that Wholesale offer?

·
Registered
nissan
467 Posts
Have a search for the skid factory on youtube. They just did a td swap from a tb using the auto and go into a little detail on the differences for the auto swap so may have info you need. They made the box fully manualised for ease of install.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,867 Posts
Not too sure about the 6HP32 ZD auto its long and difficult to fit also it has two overdrives .87 and .69
and the 32 is the only one that will take 750Nm.

The 5RE has one overdrive at .83 much the same as our std manual box. With a nice even gear spread to 4th so will work nice with 4.11 or 3.9 diff ratio. First is 3.54 so with a TC thats a nice start gear on 4.11 or 3.9 and will not feel to high like a RE4 does.

The RE4 is neither hat nor asshole first is 2.784 which in my opinion is way to much gearing and requires a lot of TC to get good feel on take off and even worse for towing. Then its a big jump to second which is like going from 1st to 3rd in a manual. Then when you get to 4th overdrive its way to low to give good feel at .69 if you are running 4.11 gears and worse for 3.9 gears.

Just from a gear ratio standpoint for our diesel and 3 tons the RE4 is a huge compromise and big ask for the TC to feel relaxed and smooth for everyday driving trying to move 3 tons of 4x4. The RE5 is a straight fit for length in our patrol with transfer case, Has a nice even ratio change and is more suited to run 3.9 or 4.11 diffs. With normal stall TC it would be very tractor like on our diesel in first more suited to slow tech off road work but still give nice transitions on our turbos for spool induced by the TC with a overdrive the same as our manual box in lockup. 3.9's would give a nicer highway feel and effortless passing dropping early into 4th. The driveability effect with the RE5 on paper would be damn nice taking advantage of the TC to spool those lazy turbo's.

The 6HP32 would also be nice if you could fit it, with its very low first gear of 4.17 but the spread of gears to 4th is not even close to the nice ratio set the RE5 has, then its got 2 overdrives .87 and .69 which is near useless for a heavy 3 ton 4X4. 3.54/2.264/1.471/1.00 is a nice increasing spread compared to 4.17/2.34/1.52/1.14 which is a bit to much increasing ratio for our low rpm high torque TD diesel fine for a high rpm V8 petrol though.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
the box isn't the only thing to consider. there is the kickdown switch on the exaggerator, and the TPS on the injection pump. i have heard of those being mounted on the throttle setup though.
Needs a harness and computer too of course.

my auto guy did the valve body mod on my re4 for me to a stage 2 shift level/pressures for about $600 including a full service/oils etc. any auto guy with racing experience can do that stuff.

good luck

1 - 20 of 145 Posts