Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

Need a place to get the auto looked at, or more importantly the torque converter in the 4.8:(

Any good recommendations in Melbourne?

I know of Wholesale\kewish , any others or out of those two which one gets the chocolates:D

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Where are you located & what are the symptoms?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Kilsyth, but don't mind a drive;)

This surging problem when cold I have had for 18 months, seems a possible symptom of a dodgy torque converter:(

So in my quest of avoiding Nissan and their throw parts until it's fixed, and many other mechanics thoughts, get a service done on the box and see what happens, the thing has done 335k so it's probably due:headwall:

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
If you're in Kilsyth then Wholesale is closest, but Kewish in Dandy would be my pick of the two because they're actually helpful.

If the A/T has never been serviced with 335kms on the clock I reckon it won't be far off a rebuild. Can you describe the surging in a little more detail?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Looked at your video of the surging. It could be a fault with any one of several sensors, bad auto fluid, or just wear and tear, or a combination of all. Borrow a scantool and check the A/T sensors for sensible outputs when cold would probably be a good start, in addition to a fluid change/level check. It could be as simple as a dodgy solenoid in the A/T. Does it only do it when cold when in "D", will it do it if you hold it in "1"?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah only cold, warm it is great.

Dunno about first, will try on the way to work:cool:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well some more information.

Does not seem to do it when in first, manually change higher though and it does.

Does not seem to do it IF the speed is above 40.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
As the trans shifts into 2nd, whether manually or in "D", the trans needs to activate the direct clutch (D/C), which then stays on in subsequent gears. If you can isolate it to the 1-2 shift then I think your culprit may be the D/C solenoid or perhaps fluid is no good when cold causing slow pressure build up in that circuit. If not isolated to 1-2 shift then it could be something else. No matter what the first port of call should be checking fluid condition, level, and filter. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mate

I know the fluid level is right, but the bloke I bought it off, towed a huge boat, so a trip for a oil flush will be on the cards now:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts