Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Patrol 5 speed and a Cabstar 5 speed? (The one with the lower 5th gear)

We’ve just bought another 5spd to replace the one out of the Ute, but the new one apparently was from Japan and 24V, and has 2 sensors/switches on the transfer instead of just the 1. Anyone know if there might be any internal differences if it’s instead a Safari box? Different ratios etc? Or will it all be the same?

TIA
-Ethan

· Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
4,461 Posts
What continuity do you get on the sensors as you select each position on the shifter? And the same for your old box?

Is there a plate (maybe for a PTO) that you can remove to have a look inside without too much disassembly?

· Registered
523 Posts
The cabstar has a remote linkage shifter on the top of the box instead of the patrol gear lever.
The switches won't matter what voltage - they are simple on/off contacts.
The diesel cabstars run exhaust retarder brakes, there is a sensor on the box for neutral to turn off the retarder when the box is in neutral and the clutch is out at zero throttle.
There is also a sensor for reverse (buzzer/lights) and one for the dual range (split shift 10 speed) if fitted where the transfer usually attaches.

• Helpful
Reactions: dkril and Overboard

· Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cool, so the cabstar box would usually have the split gear system bolted on the back instead of the transfer? That gives me ideas since I’ve still got the remote transfer sitting at home 👀

Anyway, got some clarification from the P/O of the box, apparently it was out of a 24v import MK Safari (high roof no less), that was brought over and never registered here. It went through a couple different owners, sitting in sheds and paddocks here and there, and the guy I bought it off got the parts off the car he needed and sold the body a while ago, but still had this gearbox.

Apparently only 188,000km before it was imported and parked, but the gearbox sat outside for a fair while… while we had all that rain late last year.
We drained the oil and some water came out with it, “uh oh”, so we took the inspection plate off the side and found that there was some rust on the gears inside. Seems like the water got in through the gear stick hole, even though the gearstick and boot were still there, the boot mustn’t have been clamped tight enough.

So we had to decide between using our box, which has about twice as many km, but has been pulled apart and had at least a bearing kit put through it at some point (we’d just use the input shaft out of the safari box in this case),
or we put some donor oil in the Safari box and use it for a bit to wear the bit of rust off the teeth, then drain it and put new oil in and hope it’s a good box. The teeth look far better, bar the rust, and the 1 synchro we can see, 4th, looks far better too.

We decided to give the new box a chance, we’ll keep the original one as a spare just in case.
Installed it this afternoon, took a while with just 2 small trolley jacks, 2 people, and a bit of frustration, but we got there. Backed it out of the shed, good first impressions, then took it for a drive down the driveway and up the road a bit…
oooohhh my gooooooodddd, this thing shifts like butter. I guess I’ve never felt an MQ box that hasn’t done a lot of work, because it feels like shifting Dad’s GU.
Now I want to pull it back out of the Ute and take it back to Qld to put in my wagon 😑.
I guess we’ll see in time whether the rust is making it shift nice and tight or if it genuinely is just in really good condition (again bar the rust on a few teeth).
Also feels good to finally drive one of these again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts