Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well
I've decided to replace my gearbox, due to the whine in fifth, at the moment I have a cabstar box with remote trany, just want to know if all 5 speed boxes including the cabstar are exactly the same in regards to outside dimensions and also the position of the gear levers

Cheers

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
I cannot confirm for sure, but all information points to the MQ/MK box coming directly from the cabstar.

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be clear, I have a chev conversion

Just haven't had an opportunity to look at other 5 speed boxes around my area, no wreckers around here have any , but have noticed that my 5speed has a very low first gear ratio , also the filler and drain plugs are on the drivers side and when I mounted the PTO unit to the g/box I had to use a 7mm spacer

So before I jump in and buy a second hand 5speed from interstate unseen , need to know if all 5 speeds are the same mainly the gear leavers in the same position so I don't have to FK around chopping and changing drive shafts and input/ output shafts

Cheers

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The MQ gearboxes have a bolt-on top plate that has the lever built-in. This is different for L28 and SD33/P40, but they interchange. I have pics, will get them onto wiki sometime. There is a difference with the hookup to the transfer, but im sure it can be made to adapt. I presume the cabstar will also have a top-plate, and hence you should be able to swap onto your new gearbox if need be.

Input shafts are different too, there are 3 different ones in MQ patrols, NFI about the cabstar.

I don't know what will happen at the rear of the gearbox either. You may have to swap your 'enclosed' end housing from the cabstar 5 speed onto the MQ box (after removing the transfer and MQ 5th gear extension housing).

If you go ahead with swap, take some photos of both boxes and I will throw them onto wiki for future reference.

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks
So, change over top plate if necessary ,
Change over rear cover,
And maybe input shaft
Now getting a 5 speed in good nik might be a challenge considering they'll be 25+ years old
Saw a reconditioned one on fleebay for $1600+.....to pricey!
Wondering what the cost would be to recondition the one I have ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can only swap over the input shaft from the exact same gearbox because of the short 1st gear.

Reactions: soarer31

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Jelmer,
So that means I have to change the input shaft regardless, unless of course the input shaft in the new box happens to be the same length?

Thanks

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
I'd say chances of that are slim due to the chev conversion. I thought a chev engine conversion (I'm assuming 350 SB?) required an input shaft change.

If you can get your box reco'd for $1000 or so, you may as well go that way. You know the box, you know it works, and it doesn't seem like anyone here has a cabstar and MK 5 speed to compare back to back. Plus the cabstar boxes got a crazy first gear ratio! Good for off road (if not so much on road)

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's a Dellows conversion so I can probably get some info about the input shaft from them

I'd prefer to recondition the box , so ill see how I go once I take it out

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's a Dellows conversion so I can probably get some info about the input shaft from them

I'd prefer to recondition the box , so ill see how I go once I take it out

Cheers

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
can you make me some pictures of the gearbox?

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im using the truck as my daily at the moment so won't be taking it out just yet , but have some old photos somewhere , I'll dig them up and post them

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The conversion kit you have, is it a few inches max thick adapter, or a really long bellhousing style?

I am pretty sure the old marks4x4 ones have a long-bellhousing style one with a slip-on input shaft extension, and I though some Delows were the same (but not sure).

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
Some Dellows conversions did indeed have the long bellhousing, my second MQ had a Dellows conversion with a long style bellhousing, I'm not sure if the input shaft was a slip on or replacement input shaft though.

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Ill be able to get some better pics once I pull the box out and see what the go is with the input shaft , but am I correct in saying that the MK 5 speed has the oil filler / drain plugs on the passenger side next to the PTO plate?heres a few pics of both sides of the g/box.

·
Registered
nissan
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today I had a look at a 5 speed for sale, noticed that the out put shaft had some play, is that normal?would the bearings be worn?and would that course the clutch to wobble?
The seller records the box is in very good condition
Thought??

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
Mmm

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
I would not expect any noticeable play in the input or output shaft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts