Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
673 Posts
Cool thing about the world. People want different things.
I think the RE5 will be great behind the TD42. Actually with the gear spread. I would love it behind my ZD30. As that engine is screaming for better ratio spread.
Just a very expensive very an extra gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be delicious, that's how they should have come.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,107 Posts
Certainly not a 15k or 20k exercise if you do it yourself. Dearer than the RE4 for sure. It is about $2500 for the TCU and wiring, but a Nomad valve body for the RE4 is $1200 and the RE5 doesn't need one. Fancy torque converters etc are the same price for either box. Depends on how you want to do it. I priced it up with the TCU, wiring loom, billet torque converter, drive plate etc etc at $5400, about every option there is. Price of box is extra. If you wanted to stuff around with normal torque converters etc you may do it cheaper as the converter is $1700.

However, I found out today that the "no mods to the box" story ends at about 750nm of torque. I have heard "no mods" over and over, but today they back away from that for my engine, and have advised that it should have upgraded clutches etc. So if you are going to make high torque numbers the box swill need some mods. I dunno what that is, or what it will cost yet, so we shall see on that.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Did anyone really believe ‘no mods were needed’? Lol

the turbo 4.8 guys certainly don’t run a standard box.

At first everyone thought the 62’s re7 could handle a blower and 450rwhp. Failures are starting to happen.

nothing stock will handle what they are not built for.

·
Registered
641 Posts
At first everyone thought the 62’s re7 could handle a blower and 450rwhp. Failures are starting to happen.

Not on facebook anymore. Wonder how the twin turbo 62 is going.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Andy pulled it all off.
Not sure, but I don’t think they could get the tune right. Done a heap of dyno runs and was making some stonking figures.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Did anyone really believe ‘no mods were needed’? Lol

the turbo 4.8 guys certainly don’t run a standard box.

Modded boxes in 4.8's and in the US Titans etc were due a lot to needing to compensate for the electronics which they could not alter. Lots of comment on that, so they beefed up clutch packs etc as best they could. That has now changed with the Compushift ECU. Even at 900nm, there is still no need for any valve body mods.

But you must be right. Something in the back of my mind meant I kept asking them the question. Better to find out now rather than later. And changing clutches etc is no different to modding any other gearbox. 800+nm is a lot for any standard box. The Allison is an exception, but I dunno that can be matched to the TD42 with off the shelf parts. I have not seen one anyway. Just the T case adaptor from Marks is $3900, so if you add the cost of the rest of what you may need it will be dearer than the RE5.

·
Registered
nissan
2,805 Posts
FWIW the best I have seen for modded RE5's in the states is 680ft/lb capabilities, not suited for some of us, was a few years back admittedly, but the rpm this is done at needs consideration also.
At the time they were playing with the TCU to achieve this, it is not a new thing.
There has been aftermarket control units on the market for the RE4 and the RE5 for a very long time, essentially these are a pretty generic box fitted to many cars.
I remember a very well known and respected RE4 box builder who we asked to come over and look at the ****ta once, asking for a box to hold the torque, he kinda just laughed and that was the end of that.
With diesels, the main problem stems from torque output at low rpm, a point where you kinda dont have the rpm available for the pump build enough pressure to handle things.
I remember talking to Wholesale representatives at a 4X4 show once and asking what the box will handle "we have them behind 550hp race cars" so naturally the next question was, "what kind of torque will they handle" response "we have them behind 550hp race cars" . LOL, WTF dude?
I am getting old, I would love a true auto in my ute, not really a option however, and its not a money thing, I have spent around $6k this year on clutches getting what I want.
Not raining on your parade, just food for thought.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
yeah luke gave up on the built re4 and is putting a built 4l80e behind the 6bt.
the re5 wasnt even considered as there is no adapter
and alison wont fit in a patrol.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Yeah, I get that for high output engines an auto is a problem. But 680ft/lb is 921nm, and that will cover most owners. Certainly enough for me. I have discussed it today with my local auto builder, and he has basically said the same thing. In standard spec, about 750nm or so, but with modified clutch packs etc etc then it should be ok for what we need it to do.

I cannot think of another good option. No doubt you could make an Allison work if you put enough effort/dollars into it, but how much that would cost is a big "If". Possibly the same for a GM box. I think the RE5 is a known quantity, and therefore is a good option.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
The re5 is not a known quantity behind a worked td.
Until some spends the 20k and does one it’s a gamble.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Found out something interesting today. We know about the harmonics that the crank is subject to - old news. When doing development on 6cyl diesels Wholesale noticed inconsistencies in the hydraulic pressures in the boxes. They worked out that the pulsing in the auto was coming from crankshaft harmonics. A while ago I discussed with Oldmav what effect a torque converter would have as opposed to a flywheel and clutch assembly, and whether the T/C would act as a big fluid damper. Interesting discussion but we had no answers of course. Turns out Wholesale found that the weight of the converter was the key, rather than the fluid acting as a damper, so the converter is designed to smooth out the pulses. But they are very heavy, quite the opposite of what we do with lightened flywheels. Possibly achieving the same result, but doing so by moving the harmonics to a different point to a lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
nissan
2,805 Posts
Again FWIW i have had conversation with people having crank issues with autos, billet converters used.
Big difference between peak torque rpm in a diesel vs peak torque rpm in a petrol, with rpm being rather critical in the auto being able to build enough pressure.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Again FWIW i have had conversation with people having crank issues with autos, billet converters used.
Big difference between peak torque rpm in a diesel vs peak torque rpm in a petrol, with rpm being rather critical in the auto being able to build enough pressure.
Not knowing how autos work. But is there an external pump option. Or do they just need input rpm to regulate pressure.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts